Stranded Wiring Replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my property, I have noticed that whilst most of the wiring is reasonably new solid core cabling, the cable that runs from the consumer unit to the first socket in the 30A ring main is a stranded core. Does this need replacing?

I am about to get my CU upgraded, so was wondering if I should also get this wiring upgraded? Do not want a full rewire but if the threaded cable is not up to regulation it would be prudent to get it done then.

Sponsored Links
There are lots of the old school who would give their eye teeth for your multi-stranded wire over the cr4p solid stuff the market provides these days.

By all means have it checked out but if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Ha! Not only do I have the stranded cable but ancient MICC copper-cased cable ...which must be worth a bit in scrap alone?

Sponsored Links
... ancient MICC copper-cased cable ...
How do you know it's ancient?

You may have to have it removed at some point, as the number of electricians who know how to work with it is declining. It's not covered on any of the Electrician Lite training which has been around for the last decade or so.

You may have to have it removed at some point...

Fortunately, only my kitchen still has the MICC & is due to be rewired soon. My concern with the MICC (as you pointed out) is would the sparkie know how to connect it to a new CU?

To answer your question, the stranded cable is PVC sheathed (black/red colour code).

My concern with the MICC (as you pointed out) is would the sparkie know how to connect it to a new CU?
An awful lot won't.

To answer your question, the stranded cable is PVC sheathed (black/red colour code).
As long as it passes the tests, and due account is taken of its current carrying capacity and earth core size, there's no reason to replace it.

As long as it passes the tests

I am assuming that the electrician performs wiring circuit tests as part of the commissioning of a new CU? I would like an earth bonding test & a nice certificate to show the men with clipboards!

A few chaps here, myself included love MICC. Shame it's not commonly used now due to the expense of the cable and labour to terminate it. I am currently pricing to wire some church lighting and have spec'd MICC , only worry is anyone else quoting will probably quote for PVC cable and will obviously win on costs. All I can do is a good salesman pitch to the committee to try and persuade them MI is the way to go.

As long as it passes the tests

I am assuming that the electrician performs wiring circuit tests as part of the commissioning of a new CU? I would like an earth bonding test & a nice certificate to show the men with clipboards!

Too right. You should get an Electrical installation Certificate. This should show continuity resistance and insulation resistance tests for every circuit, test results on the supply, test results for all of the RCDs/RCBOs installed.

You can see a typical certificate here
http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/P...1-Electrical-Installation-Certificate-v2.aspx

Cahnging a consumer unit is also notifiable to the local authority. Make sure that your electrician is registered to do this and that you also get a Certificate of Completion from his CPS body.

All I can do is a good salesman pitch to the committee to try and persuade them MI is the way to go.

FS

It is imperative you do this.

You cannot undersell MICC.

Its reliability is top-notch as long as two things are taken into consideration and these are much the same with any other wiring system: the cables are terminated correctly and the wiring is protected from damage.

I know a MICC installation that is as old as my Mother (1936) and still going strong. In fact, I believe it was first used in the UK in that year!

I have confused colleagues (including some who really should have known better) by reinstating ring final circuits on fuseboards wired in 1.5 MICC and passing them with flying colours.

I would not be at all afraid of being completely upfront with the church and telling them that your quote will not beat the others but that they will most likely use an unsuitable cable (MICC is in keeping with churches surroundings) and, although a safe installation is paramount at the same time it has to look top notch too, which T&E will not in that situation, however it is installed.

I would not be at all afraid of being completely upfront with the church and telling them that your quote will not beat the others but that they will most likely use an unsuitable cable (MICC is in keeping with churches surroundings) and, although a safe installation is paramount at the same time it has to look top notch too, which T&E will not in that situation, however it is installed.

RF Lighting said:
jeepmadmike said:
why people still use it [MICC] for other than essential fire proof circuits is beyond me.

Aesthetics....We fit loads of pyro on non fireproof installations, especially old churces and the like. Done right, you will not get a neater, more discreet installation.
If anybody reading this did the pyro installation in Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland, step forward and take a bow.

Not only is it neat and discreet, it is actually a pleasure to look at, such is the precision and attention to detail of the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back