It's been asked before, but cutting a new loft hatch...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... just want to be sure, because a structural surveyor suggested something different (it was an incidental question, he came to check if a wall was supporting).

I have an old-style non-trussed roof (with only about 4 diagonal roof supports across the whole 12m), so 90% of the joists only support the ceiling. Having taken down the lathe+plaster, and replacing with plasterboard, it'll be supporting even less weight.

The rafters are 2 x 4's, at 30cm centres. Just cutting one joist would therefore not be quite enough, so am planning on cutting two, for a 90cm opening.

The surveyor suggested simply moving two of the existing joists either side, and bolting them together with M12 grade 8.8 bolts at 40cm centres. That would mean a 1m gap all the way across the ceiling, which seems wrong, particularly if I want to be boarding it and walking around, storing medium weight stuff.

The classic/normal method I've seen here is to:

1) Put in noggins between the joists you're going to cut
2) Cut the joists inside the new hatch area, along the nogins
3) Add extra side pieces alongside the nogins/cut joist ends
4) That's pretty much it for the hole itself.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks

Marcos

Sponsored Links
You need to double or tripple the joists next to the opening and then add smaller joists bewteen them to support the ones you want cutted.
Have a look at picture bellow...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back