It's so cold - glow worm 18hxi not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

My Glow worm 18hxi boiler has stopped working. It shows error code F4 lor F1. It's done this before over the last two years and the plumber has changed valves which semi-sorted the problem. This year though it won't even restart after a cooling down period. What should I do? Can anyone help?

Katy

Sponsored Links
I can turn it off using the switch at the front but I'm not sure if thats resetting it?

I can turn it off using the switch at the front but I'm not sure if thats resetting it?
You need to wait at least 5 seconds before turning on again.

If the problem persists, you will have to call out a Gassafe registered engineer as F1/F4 faults indicate something wrong with the ignition, which is gas related.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone

It's done this before over the last two years and the plumber has changed valves which semi-sorted the problem. This year though it won't even restart after a cooling down period.

Katy

So what does this "plumber" say this time?

I cannot think of any valves which would be likely to cure your problem though.

Tony

It's about 9 yrs old and has been serviced every year.

Plumber said that the original valves had perished and he was to replace them with graphite valves? The previous year it was something else, can't remember what. I've not asked him this time as I've rather lost confidence in him I'm afraid.

I'll call a corgi registered engineer out for Monday (we're away this weekend).

It only seems to be when the boiler has heated up, no problems with the hot water only. I switched it off but it would only turn back on after about two hours and when neither the water or heating were on. What a pain!

I did wonder whether it was the fan, as it's the boiler has been making an odd noise recently (husband described it as whales singing).

Thanks for all your advice so far.

K

That 'graphite valve' is a gasket upgrade required when servicing.

I would not use a corgi registered bod - they are not allowed to work on gas appliances. Use someone on the gassafe register if you cannot get a reccomendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back