I've not seen this waste setup before - how to relocate sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The existing waste setup in the kitchen is a bit unusual! The waste enters a drain via a hopper, inside the house, which then goes all the way under the house to a manhole at the front.

I want to move the kitchen sink and connect to that existing drain. The new sink will be against the side wall. It's not an option to just run a new waste out the back of the wall where the new sink will go.

I was thinking of running a new waste from the sink and through the old cavity as shown in blue below then somehow connecting to that old clay pipe. Is that possible?

Thanks

IMG_1718.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg
IMG_1716.jpeg
Image 10-08-2023 at 10.47 2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thats very odd.
You'll struggle to get enough fall from the new position to drain into that existing gulley at ground level, you need to carefully dig round the gulley and see what is there.
The answer is probably yes, you may need an aav near the sink.

Odd indeed! That whole hopper thing needs to go as it's above floor level. I've no idea why it was done that way.

Almost as if that drain and clay gulley would have been outside the original footprint of the house. If it wasn't then unlikely that would have been part of the original setup as that shouldn't have got past BC.

To make use of that drain you will need to cut the floor and dig down, remove the gulley and then look to connect an adapter then a boss/branch to the top of the drain to accept the waste run then backfill.

Sponsored Links
Almost as if that drain and clay gulley would have been outside the original footprint of the house. If it wasn't then unlikely that would have been part of the original setup as that shouldn't have got past BC.

To make use of that drain you will need to cut the floor and dig down, remove the gulley and then look to connect an adapter then a boss/branch to the top of the drain to accept the waste run then backfill.
I was wondering whether the kitchen had had a joke extension in the past- can't see any good reason for an internal gulley otherwise :)

Yes, originally designed to be outside was my thought as well. House is 1970's so I suppose they just did what they liked although it was a bespoke build for the original land owner.

As you say I'll dig down and see. How about running the new waste in that cavity? -It's about 70mm wide so was thinking 50mm waste pipe, long sweep bends.

Best option would be, as said previously, dig down and expose the pipework under the hopper. (It could even have a trap under there!) Once exposed, you should be able to carefully dismantle the old stuff, it looks like HepSleve, (note which is slightly different sizing to the current Hepworth Clayware, Supersleve.) Once back to a suitable point, fit a suitable collar to get you from Hepsleve to Plastic, come back up with 110mm plastic to a suitable height, fit a Boss, and run your 50mm from there under the screed, I really wouldn't be putting in the cavity!

I would look at some sort of access, e.g. a 110mm rodding access at floor level just in case you have issues in the future.

Direct connection to the drain is common practice, it's just an odd choice of fitting to do it with, using a hopper as opposed to the correct collar, with waste adaptor connections.

Best option would be, as said previously, dig down and expose the pipework under the hopper. (It could even have a trap under there!) Once exposed, you should be able to carefully dismantle the old stuff, it looks like HepSleve, (note which is slightly different sizing to the current Hepworth Clayware, Supersleve.) Once back to a suitable point, fit a suitable collar to get you from Hepsleve to Plastic, come back up with 110mm plastic to a suitable height, fit a Boss, and run your 50mm from there under the screed, I really wouldn't be putting in the cavity!

I would look at some sort of access, e.g. a 110mm rodding access at floor level just in case you have issues in the future.

Direct connection to the drain is common practice, it's just an odd choice of fitting to do it with, using a hopper as opposed to the correct collar, with waste adaptor connections.
Great info thanks. I'll post some pictures after I start digging!

Finally got to round to doing this.

Here is what it looks like. You were right Hugh Jaleak, there is a trap/u-bend under there. I've just put my hand in there to clear it out. Nice! The start of the clay pipe is level with the foam (bleach) in the picture. It's about 190mm below the floor level.

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_1857.jpeg

Is that in case it blocks in the future?

Thanks
(spelling edit) Wouldn't think so, it just isn't needed. You wouldn't normally have an open trapped hopper/gulley internally like that, unless it was outside at one point. So it just needs removed and a direct waste/soil connection to the main run installed.

Last edited:
Is that in case it blocks in the future?
Yes. Especially if not easily accessible, apart from the unholy mess involved when trying to clean these out. Fat, soap, food scraps, ec can and do build up, resulting in a stinking black gunge. in the bottom of the trap. Unpleasant enough when outside, really wouldn't want to be sorting it out inside.

Secondly, in your situation it needs to be a sealed connection to the drain, as it's internal. You don't want to be unsealing it again to unblock it in the future.

Last edited:
After spending a few hours getting dusty here is what I've found. The trap is joined with Hepworth sleeve to a clay pipe that runs horizontally (with a fall) under the house.

Do I remove that sleeve and fit a flexible adapter like this:

I can't see how I'm going to get some vertical pipe in there so instead do I fit a stub of pipe horizontally with an end cap. Then put a boss on to feed the waste pipe like I've drawn below?

IMG_1874.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back