I've severed a wire (Alarm), and don't know how to fix it...

Right then.

This junction box option might need to come into play here. Honestly, I'm usually pretty good at picking things up and doing things around the house. However, it seems as though soldering is currently getting the better of me. I've now tried 10 time to solder one of the 5 wires and I'm getting nowhere fast; literally. I'm running out of wire to cut back. I'm either putting too much solder on and then the sheath won't go over the joint, or I can't get the bloody thing to join at all. If i do end up with loads of solder, is it sufficient enough to then wrap it in insulation tape instead of the shrinkable joint?

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Hi maf

I got the impression you wasnt looking forward to soldering lol

i hate to say it as i have a pet hate of them but a junction box will do if you twist the ends together & then clamp the wire on both parts of the junction box. imo - it isn't the most resilient way to do it, but if that works for you, then its worth trying before you run out of cable :(

if now you have the soldering iron out & just want some guidance :-

soldering basics... sorry if i'm teaching u to suck eggs here :oops:

put just a small amount of solder on the tip of your iron to help distribute the heat.

strip the core back about 1/2" & put tip of soldering iron at end of it. leave it 15 - 30sec to heat the wire up. watch the core plastic sleeving, if it starts to curl up or receed then the wire is hot enough / your starting to keep the iron on too long. (this varies on all thicknesses & types of wire)

repeatedly touch the wire with the solder, once it is hot enough, the solder should start to be "sucked up" by the cable and spread itself evenly over the wire. (dont add solder to the iron, it doesnt do as good a job)

I would practise on another piece until your comfortable doing it mate, to get it done properly so it wont give you problems later, really is worth it. I agree you shouldnt practise on the actual cable if ur worried about repeatedly chopping bits off

once you have tinned it (the process of getting solder onto the strands / core i mentioned above, then you need to do the other piece of wire you are going to attach in exactly the same way

once both ends are done, put the iron on the tip of one end of wire, as you see the solder melting, touch the other tinned wire to it, and that after a second or so should melt into the first wire.

when the solder around both wires looks like it has fully bonded into one blob of solder and the wires are definately connected, remove the iron & let it cool without wiggling it, as this will weaken the joint.

as breezer said, you can use insulation tape, it should be fine.

I would try to persevere with the soldering mate, find some other similar thickness wire to practise on. after 24years of soldering it still took me a couple of solder connections before i could get the finished result in the heatshrink sleeves, i was making up connections on turnstiles in a football stadium, after 5yrs, there's never been a fault on any of the gates, all soldered and insulated with heatshrink tubing in external areas :)

regarding the soldering, I wouldn't do it that way. no point in heating the cable twice.

strip the cores, twist them together, then solder them.

As I said saves heating the cable twice, which means less chance of burning / melting the insulation twice.

Sponsored Links
Why do you say wind up Europlex? I am sorry if you feel that you have had a go at everything there is to possibly do. It must be great to be able to go feet first into everything. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's not too open minded to think that everything that comes easy to you, comes easy to everyone else.

For example I've played and coached rugby for years, and have done the latter to a high level. I am sure you might be found wanting if I was to ask you to run a scrummaging session for a group of players prior to them taking to the field for a younger international game. Maybe I might consider your questions on this particular subject........a 'wind-up'???

I love this site, it's got me into to so much DIY it's great.

Thanks to those for all of the constructive feedback, it is hugely appreciated.

Soldering completed by the way, going to wait until about half 10 on the power up in case the neighbours are still in bed

Right.

Well at least my alarm isn't haunting the neighbours after the power up. Down side is it's only the panel that seems to have any power to it.

The display say 'Low Batt' and none of the movement sensors seem to be working either. Fuse maybe? I've taken the alarm box cover off and I can see two fuses.

hi maf

low batt is normal as when u powered down the unit, it then ran on battery power, soon as u plug it in, it will charge the battery.

test the fuses & replace one if its blown, there will likely be 1 fuse for the panel & 1 fuse for powering auxilliary items like the pir's etc.

if it's not sounding, then it seems you did a good job on the wiring as the tamper circuit would've given you grief already.

glad you got it sorted

Job done.

All sorted.

Many thanks to all of you have helped out on this one. Long live diynot.com!

heat shrink would be better but then there is the problem of using a 240v appliance on site, that, and the expese (oh and hassle of running extension lead) is a reason why no one uses them.

You need one of these:
85080201T.jpg

Other stockists available but I got mine here http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fa...m-butane-hot-air-gun/66940/kw/heat shrink gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back