iveco handbrake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an iveco daily 3.5 tonne tipper and the handbrake works if facing downhill ( stops van going forwards ) but not if the van is backwards downhill ( can reverse with handbrake fully lifted ).
Anyone had the same problems or understand the problem.
Thanks for any help.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Its a bit difficult to explain, but on each wheel there are 2 brake shoes, one leading, and one trailing.
The leading shoe has whats known as a self servo action; i.e when you put the brakes on, the shoe is pulled more firmly in contact with the drum.
Conversely, the trailing shoe doesn't have that performance, which is why one shoe on heavier vehicles is often thicker than the other.
I suggest, in the interim, that you have the brake shoes replaced, see that they are fit to slide as required, and check the drum for being worn to a diameter greater than specified by the manufacturer.
John :)

Hi,
This is a 2005 Iveco and unfortunatly it has not got shoes, it has pads and discs.I have tried to adjust the handbrake cable but it makes no difference.
I have spoken to a local mechanic and he seemed quite baffled.
Thanks for the reply nonetheless.
Steve

Aha in which case, ignore my drunken ramblings - I assumed your Iveco was the older model.
The only thing I can say is that the pads must be adjusted into contact with the discs - adjustment won't be achieved by the cable alone. I really don't know if your calipers are manual or self adjusting - sorry!
Its car practise to allow the pads to self adjust, with the operating lever set right back. Only then is the cable adjusted.

Sponsored Links
Hi i am sure your handbrake shoes are located inside the disc if you remove your wheels you should find a hole in your disc which you can adjust the shoes through

paul

If what Paul says is correct, that's the same system that the Peugeot 406 uses, and unless they are adjusted right up they don't work. I have just fitted new discs/drums, pads and shoes to mine and after a few hundred miles my hand brake is next to useless because the pads have bedded in - as well as they can - only being used for the handbrake! :confused:

Peter

If its like my van, there is discs all round but inside the rear hub is your normal type of shoes which operate by cable and lever action and is handbrake only.doing my brakes on my 50c13. I found the lever mechanism which pushes the shoes was seized. got new shoes on one side but can't get hub nut off other.

Hi guys

I'd like to try and pick this topic up again if possible as I'm in the same predicament. I have a 1999 Daily (camper van) and the handbrake doesnt hold so I have to leave it in gear. I adjusted the cable tensioner by the wheel which has tightened the cable but its still not holding. I believe its the nearside (rear) as I can hear it grinding sometimes also it appears to lock to stop me reversing but will drive okay. I took the wheels off today and worked the pistons which didnt seem SO bad but obviosly realised that they have nothing to do with the handbrake. I think this is the style burnerman was describing with the handbrake shoes inside the hub but I cant see a hole in the disc like pj11 mentions. My problem is, Im in France and I really could do with fixing it myself. I removed the 'ring of nuts on the hub and it covered me in oil so I quickly put it back on as I don't properly know what I'm looking for but have read on forums about a 68mm socket for a hub nut. Im guessing I'll need to buy a shoe kit (with springs etc) remove this large nut and pull the entire assembly off the shaft to expose the shoes but I'm concerned about the oil cos I don't think I'll be able to access the diff again to fill it up (if thats where it's come from). Anyway I'd really appreciate some help if you can. For all I know this could be a simple case of hitting the right spot with a hammer and all is good.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

***Removed***

Hell, I wish we had a picture of this one....
If the rear has an incorporated disc (footbrake) and drum (handbrake) then there is often a rubber bung that you can prise out.....its towards the outside of the drum.
Having a spy inside the hole you should see a ratchet mechanism that you can turn with a screwdriver to either tighten the shoes to the drum or the reverse, to get the drum off.
If there isn't a bung then the drum has to be pulled clear for adjusting, and then replaced.

As I'm new to this site I'm not clued up on uploading but I'm sure I can get some pictures on here for tomorrow. There is a rubber bung on the top side of the disc on the rear side but I couldn't see so much inside and also a hole (again on the rear side) adjacent to where the handbrake cable enters the housing. I didnt imagine much could be done through them so neglected them. I'd also like to say that my terminology for all the parts could be wrong but as they say, a picture paints a thousand words.
Thanks for your rapid response John. I'll upload some pictures ASAP and hopefully we can suss it out.

Brian

Brian, if these bungs are on the brake backplate then they are used for assessing the thickness of the brake shoes within......a pretty useless thing to do really as you can't see any fluid leaks etc but they do give some sort of a guide as to how worn the shoes are.
Get the pics when you can - things will get sorted.
P.S Holiday bound tomorrow for a week :p

Hi John

Hopefully you'll be able to see the pictures I've taken (when you get back of course). I believe you're right regarding the inspection holes but didn't get time to investigate today. I will try and look into it all so I have a better idea next time we're in touch.

Have a great holiday and we'll catch up when you're ready.

Thanks again

Brian

Hi John

Did you get chance to look at the photos I took?

Hope you had a good holiday too.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Back