IWI Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure I started a topic about this but I cant find it now.

Anyway, solid wall cottage, and I am gutting it to redesign room layout, install central heating, etc. So decided this is the time for Internal Wall Insulation.

Decided to use Kingspan foil backed panels, then plasterboard on top, then get a plaster skim all over. All good.

Now I see two install methods, as I want to go for physical fix, decided against glue on.

Wooden battens, infill with insulation sheets, foil tape all joints, etc. This way the battens.

Or metal battens, insulation sheets screwed to these, then plaster board on top of that.

What are the pros and cons of both methods? A

Also there seems some debate about leaving a 25mm air gap from sold wall to new wall?

I will be installing this myself, im pretty handy with this stuff, have build stud walls, etc, before.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Or Celotex PL4000

Make sure your existing wall can breathe externally, ie has it been cement rendered or painted in a non breathable paint?

Any moisture occuring at the dew point in the wall will need a path out.

Think insulation, think condensation, think ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back