Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my cottage project is about to start. It is a solid stone wall construction cottage, about 2 - 3 ft thick. I am gutting the place and want to take the chance to insulate. I was thinking 50mm wooden battens, and Kingspan between them, on all 4 external walls.

I keep reading about damp that could be caused, and bridging, etc. What should I look at to prevent this.?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would advise a thermal laminate board. e.g. Lafarge Thermalcheck K or Kingspan Kooltherm K. (K17 for adhesive fix - K18 for mech fix). No need for cavity or battens, simple to fix, very effective. If your walls are dry you could use an adhesive fix. If there's any chance of moisture in the walls I would probably go with a mechanical fix. Thicknesses range from 30mm to 70mm and there are several grades of thermal performance. Go with the thickest and highest grade you can afford.

Walls are in good condition, no signs of damp at all. Plan to get whole place plastered again. So I can stick boards direct? The PB, then get all skimmed?

wcavanagh, Hi.

There are various "schemes" up here in Sunny Scotland" [my BIT FOR THE TOURIST INDUSTRY] that will fund the Insulation of all / any Properties.

FREE [attractive to a Scotsman, or because of the contributors here, a Yorkshire man?] Insulation schemes that will get you a grant to say, insulate the loft, to modern standards. Insulate walls to modern specifications, and if you are over a certain age, with a C/Heating boiler that is "Old" even a FREE new C/Heating boiler!

Question, have you looked into these possibilities? If you can hook into these grants then you could save some money, irrespective of what insulation you end up using.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Hi,

That is very interesting, I've not looked into any grants. It has no heating in at the moment, and I'm planning on get oil tank installed and rads.

I will hit google in the morning for any grants.

I've been living up here a year now, and noticed how the locals like a good deal, lol

wcavanagh, Hi.

One other "possible" saving?

If you and your neighbours [supposing you know them?] get "together" and "bulk buy" a tanker load of kerosene then the cost of a "full load" can at times be "reduced" by the Supplier?

Worth a thought as the cost of Kerosene has gone in one direction, not down.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back