Jaguar 23kw - heating water moving across to hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps,

A bit of a quandary - for a little background, I had a leaking PRV that wouldn't seal and kept on dribbling out of the overflow after a couple of plumber visits without resolution, I decided to have a go myself. I've replaced that and there's no drips now. as a result of that, I'd lost most of the inhibitor and the magnetite sludge built up.

Since then, I've put some cleaner in my system recently due to the some problems with the boiler reporting heat exchanger blockage codes occasionally (F3) and occasionally tripping the overheat thermostat.

I initially used the fernox aerosol cleaner through the filling loop, then moved to the normal fernox cleaner liquid that I put in the radiator.

so far, so good. lots of iron particles have come out - when you drain the boiler alone, it's coming out clear. radiators have been drained fully once and lots of particles came out.

The F3 trips have stopped and the system is working normally again, hot water and heating working as normal.

my question is and this is the problem, when I've initially put the cleaner in, it'll occasionally move through to the hot water system, so the first time I use the tap, I'll get the cleaner coming out of the taps. It was most noticeable when I used the aerosol fernox.

I don't want it to happen once the inhibitor is in as I imagine I'll lose it all over time and be back to square one.

The pressure hasn't dropped so far. it's holding the 1 bar I filled it to after adding the last round of cleaner.

the pressure doesn't rise over time, so I've ruled out a heat exchanger crack for now since it doesn't come up to mains pressure at all.

Given all that, I'm looking at the diverter valve itself - I've bought a rebuild kit off ebay and before I commit to the fun job of doing that I was hoping to find out whether I was in the right ball park.

apologies for the essay! any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers

alan

Sponsored Links
bump in case anyone that has absolute expertise with the delightful jaguar 23kw hasn't seen my thread :D

Only Jaguars I know are the 24KTVJ

The only way the hot water's getting contaminated is via the plate heat exchanger or the filling loop. The diverter has nothing to do with it.

Sponsored Links
that's what I thought - replaced the filling loop - the non return valve is OK, not dribbling back out when it's unscrewed.

heat exchanger - I thought this again, second plumber out ruled it out as the system pressure doesn't equalize with mains pressure (the system stays at 1bar). after umming and arring for a fair while and repeating several times he didn't know what he could do, he said he'd replace the filling loop along with a few of the isolator valves he thought were leaking and then .. never came back.

diverter came up as if the o-rings on the rods are bad, looking at the diagrams it looks as though it could move through the system with the little pipes with the venturi in that actuates the diaphragm.

it's only a hunch based on limited knowledge, so was hoping someone else knew better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back