Jaguar combi boiler - sorry!!!!

bennettp23 said:
the term 'engineer' is abused by people who are really only technicians.
You're not answering my question. How do you define one against the other? If you can't offer any definition, it's a meaningless observation to make in the first place.

Sponsored Links
OK yeah I concede its seems its a bit of a blurred area.

My idea of an engineer is someone who is qualified as an engineer, and actually engineers systems, i.e. someone who has a professional qualification and applies engineering principles to the design and modification of systems.

I have a HND in electronic engineering, a degree in Computer Science and C&G in Electricity regs. My job involves commisioning fiber optic telecoms systems. However I DO NOT class myself as an engineer as I'm not part of recognised supervisory body or carry out the duties of an engineer.

Its only in this country where there seems to be a lack of distinction. In the US people without engineering degrees are not engineers full stop. Now I'm not sure about that because if people do the job of an engineer then I feel they should be termed an engineer.

I'm not out to insult anyone I just think people should be a little bit more aware.

In the US people without engineering degrees are not engineers full stop.
And what do they call railroad engine drivers in the US? Perhaps they all have engineering degrees.

The point is that I and some others who post here are members (or associates) of the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (IPHE), and thousands of plumbers describe themselves as Heating Engineers (as I do).

Maybe there should be a definition that is enforced, but (in this field at least) there isn't. Anyone can call themselves a plumber or a heating engineer. The consumer has little choice but to make their own judgement about someones technical competence.

fair enough, its just something this country will live with, bit like the joke that is the fedaration of master builders....

Sponsored Links
Well I agree with you on that. The public are entitled to expect a term like engineer (and technician and plumber for that matter) to signify a certain level of competence. To some extent an attempt has been made to address this with gas work and Corgi, but the practical workings of that are far from satisfactory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back