Jaguar XE not starting.

It seems not only stop start now working, but also other functions, so suspect it was a software fault, but they don't want to admit there was a software fault so are blaming the battery. I have old battery to use on caravan so will charge and test it. I have not seen many AGM batteries so large, and I wonder considering expense if Li-Ion batteries would not be better?

However since part of the stop start system, there is no real option but pay the £200 plus cost for a new AGM battery, I thought is was very expensive with Jaguar printed on the label, but when I looked a Bosch battery same size costs more.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
On the car the Smart Charger only got to stage 3 of 4 stages displayed, so charge was 0.8 amp, however now the battery has been removed, it goes into stage 4 (0.1 amp charge rate) and there is no sign of the voltage dropping to reactive stage 3.

So it would seem there was a drain on the battery in the car of around 0.6 amp, there was a mod on software as it seems the cars were not switching off items as quick as it should have done once switched off, so I think it was a software problem.

However since part of the stop start system, there is no real option but pay the £200 plus cost for a new AGM battery, I thought is was very expensive with Jaguar printed on the label, but when I looked a Bosch battery same size costs more.

Perhaps too late now, but the Jag battery may be a rebadged Varta. If you email their tech support they will tell you the part no.

Exide but does not help, as I was sure there was a software fault, so I had no intention of DIY, or taking anywhere but a Jaguar dealer as only they would have the ability to reload software. Which I am sure they have done. So to my mine it does not matter if they say it was battery when it was not, the car will now start and we don't have to worry.

All I need to do now, is decide if I am going to use old battery in the caravan. I put it on charge with a Smart charger and at moment charging at 0.1 amp and the voltage is slowly going up, yesterday 13.5 volt today 13.6 volt so very slow. However the caravans built in charger is not a smart charger, with the flooded lead acid battery it still draws 12 watt after being on charge for weeks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, just seen this thread, so thought should say what the problem was, it was a RAC man that found it out, so full Mark's to RAC.

He checked battery A1, he lent in driver position and pressed brake with hand and would not start, my wife then got out and he sat in seat, and this time it started.

Seems two contacts on the pressure switch which is activated by pressing brake, my wife was pressing the brake hard enough to stop warning light showing that says press brake peddle, but not hard enough to work second set of contacts to allow it to start once the vacuum had been depleted, but while there was was vacuum she was pressing hard enough.

Hense why when I tried starting it worked OK.

Sorry, just seen this thread, so thought should say what the problem was, it was a RAC man that found it out, so full Mark's to RAC.

He checked battery A1, he lent in driver position and pressed brake with hand and would not start, my wife then got out and he sat in seat, and this time it started.

Seems two contacts on the pressure switch which is activated by pressing brake, my wife was pressing the brake hard enough to stop warning light showing that says press brake peddle, but not hard enough to work second set of contacts to allow it to start once the vacuum had been depleted, but while there was was vacuum she was pressing hard enough.

Hense why when I tried starting it worked OK.
I remember your post about that problem. You already told us what it was. I remember it because I got caught out with the same problem!

Back