Jaguar xj6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the chance to buy an 1992(K) XJ6 with only 40,000 miles, for a very reasonable price, but it has not been on the road since 1998 & although the bodywork is in good condition for the year, the brakes have seized & it would not start(suspect fuel system will need cleaning out). Does anyone have experience of Jags(or any other car) that have stood for a long time as I am wondering if I may be buying a money pit

Sponsored Links
I am wondering if I may be buying a money pit

Spot on :cool:
If you are buying as an enhusiast, then go for it if it's cheap enough.
If it's going to be a daily driver / main car then stay away!

it would have to be in exeptional condition to be worth taking on after 10 years off the road.

check the bodywork very carefully, mine looked ok on the surface but was unbelievably bad in all the nicely hidden areas. if it is in good condition and just needs a tidy up to get it back on the road they can be good daily drivers. my uncle used his everyday and very little went wrong.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I priced calipers, shoes, pads,sensors etc, & a few other parts that I could see it needed & decided against taking the risk. :(

Money pit, Jag, Check!

not at all, i run one, 1997 XJ6 180000 miles had it three years, not done huge mileage in it, has been very reliable (done a few jobs when i first bought it) not even too bad on fuel (on a run)
save for normal servicing i have not touched the car for 2 1/2 years now.

personaly i would look for a later X300 model as the body shape is better and they are generaly less prone to rust (although you still have to check certain areas). The XJ40 (1986-1994) is still a good car and a 40000 miler should be worth a look, brakles etc can be refurbed or secondhand units fitted, just depends if you are enthusiast and wish to delve into the oily bits.

Back