Jammed Gate Valve

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Trying to change my kitchen tap but when trying to switch off the isolator valves, the annoying flat screw head metal valve on the hot side won't turn enough to fully switch it off.

Really annoying as when I had the kitchen done six years ago I purposely asked for the metal ones rather than those awful things with the plastic ends.

Anyway, less of my ranting as I've sworn enough already tonight.

I know it's an outside chance but aside from draining down the hot water, is there any tips on how to un stick this valve.

Have tried various large screwdrivers and been careful but the screw head is starting to get a bit damaged now.

Advice please .....

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
For a start, these aren't Gate valves.

the annoying flat screw head metal valve

I purposely asked for the metal ones rather than those awful things with the plastic ends

You should have insisted upon decent lever valves. All slotted ones whether plastic or metal are schit. With the possible exception of the official ball-o-fix valves, which are rarely stocked.

is there any tips on how to un stick this valve

Nope. You're fecked :D

Is it possible that you've actually got proper ball-o-fix isolators -is there an allen key hexagonal hole in the centre of the slot?

If there is then get the right allen key and the chances are that it will operate correctly.

Is it possible that you've actually got proper ball-o-fix isolators -is there an allen key hexagonal hole in the centre of the slot?

If there is then get the right allen key and the chances are that it will operate correctly.
Afraid not. Just the flat screwhead.
Looks like I'll be draining down the hot water tank

Sponsored Links
If you have gravity hot water, you don't really want those type of iso valves on there as they can reduce the flow. As above get some full flow lever valves instead.

The only valve I can see to isolate it is even more jammed. At least this one has the excuse of being fifty years old.

Either turn off water to whole house and run all hot taps until they stop, or tie up float in large cold water storage tank and then run all hot taps. This method will empty the storage tank, but only lose the top couple of inches from hot cylinder.

And time to shop for some new valves.

Either turn off water to whole house and run all hot taps until they stop, or tie up float in large cold water storage tank and then run all hot taps. This method will empty the storage tank, but only lose the top couple of inches from hot cylinder.

Many thanks. Will do. Time for some heavy duty valves

Just bung the outlet at the bottom of the cold water storage tank , which feeds the hot water cylinder. There is no need to lose all your stored hot water or empty the loft tank.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB

This method will lose an awful lot more than the top couple of inches of the hot water cylinder's water . the amount of litres lost will be equal to what exits the loft tank during draining off.

I do have an isolator valve between the loft tank and the bottom of the cylinder where I believe it fills from.
If I shut this off then I think I'm right in saying that I can then have a shower, run hot taps etc until cylinder is suitably empty.
Sound sensible?

Yes, you can. Be wary if its a big red round handle ,thats a gate valve ,and worse schit than the slotted one, you already have a problem with. The cylinder will not empty ,only the distribution pipework / taps etc .

This method will lose an awful lot more than the top couple of inches of the hot water cylinder's water . the amount of litres lost will be equal to what exits the loft tank during draining off.

Yes, perhaps I didn't word it very well. I should have said that the CWSC will empty, but the cylinder will still be more or less full when taps stop running. The water in it will be luke, at best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back