Jammed Gate Valve

I guess enough water needs to be emptied to reduce the pressure in the pipes so I have no hot water getting to my kitchen tap

Sponsored Links
It's gravity acting on the weight of water in the loft tank that pushes the water up through the cylinder and out of the top. When loft tank is empty, cylinder stops running, even though it's almost full.

A small amount of residual water in the pipes that will come out when lever valve is closed.

It's gravity acting on the weight of water in the loft tank that pushes the water up through the cylinder and out of the top. When loft tank is empty, cylinder stops running, even though it's almost full.

But sounds like you have found the isolator that stops the water coming down from loft tank. No need to drain anything, except a small amount of residual water in the pipes that will come out when lever valve closed.
great explaination. will try that tomorrow.
any idea how much hot water will need to be emptied. A shower worth?

Sponsored Links
great explaination. will try that tomorrow.
any idea how much hot water will need to be emptied. A shower worth?

Thanks.

Do you mean using the lever valve you found on pipe from loft tank to bottom of cylinder? When turned off, hardly anything should come out. Open the tap you want to work on after turning off lever valve, and open another hot tap somewhere else to break vacuum. Small amount should come out, then you're ready to work.

I do have an isolator valve between the loft tank and the bottom of the cylinder where I believe it fills from.
If I shut this off then I think I'm right in saying that I can then have a shower, run hot taps etc until cylinder is suitably empty.
Sound sensible?
Er........No Water in = no water out. You could have a cold shower, flush the loo etc. the cylinder will remain full :idea:

if I close off the cold supply to the bottom of the cylinder and then run hot taps for a bit then surely eventually the cylinder will empty enough to stop hot water getting sent to the taps.

No, I understand. Just explaining to the bloke previously who didn't seem to think it would work, unless I misunderstood him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back