JCB 10" Cross Pull Mitre Saw - Any Opinions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

I was wondering if anybody has used the tool below? Looking for folk's opinions on reliability, accuracy and ease of use. The price seems reasonable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JCB-Cross-Pull-Mitre-JCBD-CPM18LF/dp/B000RB9CJM

Also, Draper do sliding mitres for around 120 quid. Any views on their kit. Intend to use to saw for a couple of decking projects and a fencing project.

I am also looking at the Dewalt 707 which you can get delivered for around 230 plus a leg stand. It's a crosscut as opposed to a sliding saw. And my budget doesn't stretch to the prices of Dewalt sliding mitre, unfortunately. However the DW 707 will only cut to a depth of 60mm. Probably fine for the projects I have in mind for the time being but thinking ahead a deeper cut may be required working on other stuff.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

T.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid the JCB, I have not seen the saw in question to be fair but the rest of their stuff is pretty naff.

Draper have a few different ranges and their "expert" range is
good gear, their expert pliers are made by Knipex for example.

I noticed this

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=107993

which might serve you better in the sliding market.

but you can't really beat the top brand names for accuracy and durability and I would be tempted to push my budget and bend the plastic and buy the sliding saw that you want.

Buy once and buy well and it will last you a good long time.

JCB make world renowned earth moving machinery. For reasons that escape me they also use their brand on poor quality tools, including saws which look as if they would never cut anything accurately.

This seems to me to be a cynical attempt to make money from a gullible buying public, who may assume from the label that they're getting something robust and reliable. They (JCB) deserve to harm their main business by this practice.

The more complex a cross-cut saw, the more accurately it needs to be made to perform properly. I agree with BTS; save up for a decent tool, and you won't regret it in the long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back