Sliding mitre saws (JCB/B&Q or Luna)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to buy a sliding mitre saw.
B&Q at the moment offer two JCB ones i'm interested in, mostly due to my budget:
255mm
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...5mm-Sliding-Mitre-Saw-13168664?skuId=13649361

and
210mm
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...0mm-Sliding-Mitre-Saw-13168665?skuId=13649362

I'm inclined to get bigger one for bigger cutting capacity.
Question is is it worth the money ? (yeah yeah, you get what you pay for, blah blah blah... i know, move on.)
Anyone with constructive comments/criticism for these saws ?
Do JCB/B&Q have a healthy supply of spare parts ?

Also, i'm offered a Luna BMS250S saw, sold by McIntyres tool centre. Sturdy built, heavy, non plastic base etc. Anyone used this one ?

Any other tips for buying a sliding mitre ?

Also, where else can i handle/see some tools in Dungannon/Cookstown area ? Most shops i go to offer to order...which is not how i operate :D

Sponsored Links
They are cheap chinese imports , base is not sturdy it's cast metal, kickback while using one of these snapped the back stop like a carrot.
Motor is so unrefined the power peak when operating the trigger tripped anything smaller than a 32 amp power supply.
Brake failed after a few uses but managed to keep all my fingers.

Its a shame that such a revered title as JCB put their name on stuff like this.....they do the same with garden equipment and its crap.
I use a SIP sliding saw - an excellent and safe bit of kit.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ended up getting Luna BMS 250s.
I'm actually amazed at the build quality.
After handling JCB for a bit (at the b&q, no actual cutting) and comparing it to Luna one JCB seems really cheap and tacky.

The most surprising thing of all, except for lack of plastic (which by itself is a feat o_O), was that it came with induction motor. It is dead quiet - no clattery/clangy/screamy shriek circular saws usually emit...
And its heavy, maybe a tad too heavy, but its all due to build materials/quality.

Also, it has blade brake, which also somewhat surprised me. Usually i have to let the blade spin down, but Luna engages brakes halfway through spindown...

And it only cost 120 quid.

Even though i'm far from being a professional i'm impressed by things i saw...

Question: what kind of motors lower end of saws of this type use ? I have borrowed a non-sliding chop/mitre saw and its awfully loud... And plastic crap in general ("performance power" my ****)...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back