'Jeremy to tax robots'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
That's a bit rich coming from Gates, as he's helped things reach this stage. But as these robots won't be cheap to purchase, can a tax on their use be justified. Maybe you shoult tax the robot makers, as without them, there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

yeah.. or they’ll just install the robots in a place where they don’t tax them.

Sponsored Links
the usual approach, when men with spades were replaced by diggers; or men with teaspoons were replaced by men with spades, is that you take the profits of the company making the diggers, and you tax the wages of the digger makers, and you may tax the dividends paid to the owners of the digger company. A small proportion of the tax might go to paying enough to keep the unemployed in survivable poverty, or retaining some of them.

I don't see that putting people out of work by using robots is different from putting people out of work by using steam looms. Older members may recall that we used to have factories making typewriters, and people servicing and repairing them. We used to have watch repairers and wagon makers. We used to have typesetters and newspaper presses. We used to have coal miners, and, before them, coppicers, peat-diggers and charcoal-burners.

If the robot making companies, and the company owners, were allowed to dodge tax in some way, that would be a different problem.

It's quite likely that notch is not serious in his suggestion.

They should put a tax on towing caravans on the road

push bikes used on the road should be taxed

horse owners that ride there horses on the road should be taxed.

Any one using loud lawn mowers should be taxed.

The dck ead bell ringers down the local church should be taxed for ringing there bells.

Any one wearing a hoody should be taxed & way har beeeee should be taxed :LOL:

but a taxing businesses that want to improve productivity is not the answer.

I haven't seen anybody proposing an extra tax on businesses that want to improve productivity, have you?

The normal practice is that if you make £1,000 profit from selling flint axes, you pay the same amount of tax as if you make £1,000 profit from selling solar-powered gnomes.

I've always felt that making lots of money, and paying tax on it, is better than not. Perhaps you disagree.

Where do you develop yours from?

Plenty of expert opinions online think its a bad idea.

Why would you consider stifling innovation to be a good thing?

I do understand the concerns that automation is leading to greater inequality, but a taxing businesses that want to improve productivity is not the answer.

Where did I say I was stifling innovation or even imply it.

Have you read the article? Do you know where Bill Gates is going with his argument.

List some opinions - preferably notable economists or experts in the field.

Do you have an economic background?

Tell me what happens when the link between labour and capital breaks down.

but a taxing businesses that want to improve productivity is not the answer.

What is the question?

Also businesses are already taxed and still improve their productivity. So your argument has no basis.

I don't particularly like Bill Gates, but I think that the rise of robotisation will cause problems, and the slowdown of that idea may well have merit. When people worked hard, there was little social unrest, petty crime, or antisocial behaviour. Since people have been able to sit on the sofas watching daytime TV in their onesies, all sorts of social problems have risen beyond a manageable point. So just what will people do with all this spare time I wonder, and will Jeremy taxing robots be a good idea, or the next level of socail unrest that tips society over the edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to have a strange idea of who is causing social unrest - and of the result of robotisation which has been with us for quite a while already.

There are more people in employment now than ever before.
Not to mention all the people in the far-east who now do our manufacturing.

Simple answer,, a tax on all PC's Mac's, tablets and smartphones.. A sure fire vote winner for Jeremy. Everybody's happy. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Where did I say I was stifling innovation or even imply it.

Have you read the article? Do you know where Bill Gates is going with his argument.

List some opinions - preferably notable economists or experts in the field.

Do you have an economic background?

Tell me what happens when the link between labour and capital breaks down.

Did you read the whole article?

Do you have a background in manufacturing industry?

List your opinions -preferably notable leading experts in industrial manufacture.

If robot tax is a good idea why did EU law makers turn it down? -please provide an explanation why they are wrong

Lawrence Summers thinks Bill Gates proposal is wrong -do you think Summers has no experience to form a valid justification for that?

What is the question?

Also businesses are already taxed and still improve their productivity. So your argument has no basis.

Are you unable to understand the point?

You seems you want to know what other people do for a living.

No doubt you are wanting to share what you do for a living and what sort of economics background you have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back