Jigs for D handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 20 D handles to fit on our new wardrobes etc,
The last time I fitted D handles was several years back and the thought of messing up a drawer front is making me nervous.
I have plenty of scrap MDF filler panels left over and thought to make a jig out of some of that, using clamps to secure.
I did think the use masking tape and measure each one separately....but I can see that way introduces errors.
I have seen the Hafele jig online, but someone mentioned it was only for standard hole spacing.

What do the pro's do?

Sponsored Links
I have about 20 D handles to fit on our new wardrobes etc,
The last time I fitted D handles was several years back and the thought of messing up a drawer front is making me nervous.
I have plenty of scrap MDF filler panels left over and thought to make a jig out of some of that, using clamps to secure.
I did think the use masking tape and measure each one separately....but I can see that way introduces errors.
I have seen the Hafele jig online, but someone mentioned it was only for standard hole spacing.

What do the pro's do?

Make a marking out jig and use a brad point drill bit.
I wouldnt make a drilling jig as such.

All you need is a strip of mdf.
Mark out with a sharp pencil your handle centres, then screw on a small bit of wood to act as an end stop.
To use, rest the small bit of wood of the marking template on the top edge of a door, then do the pencil marks.
For distance in from the edge, use a sliding square.

When you do drawers, where the handle must be central, do your marking out, then check the hole distances are the same from each side of front -its a quick check before drilling.

TIP - the hole centres are almost certainly 32mm increments
TIP - for marking out, use cumulative measurements ( for eg 0mm, 800mm, 992mm).

i do it similar to notch but no end stop unless all drawers the same
i drill the handle holes in pairs going front to back first door edge then drawers off different depths
drill a sighting hole in the jig centre off handle at the front edge [5mm]half where the baton is and half on drawer top edge or door side edge
i mark central on door or drawer with a pencil on the edge place jig in place positioning through the sighting hole and drill with a normal hss bit through the jig being careful not to damage the jig
i will do all doors or drawers in batches using a specific pair off holes covering the holes not in use with electrical tape

And double check hinge side, nothing more annoying than finding you put a handle on hinge side by mistake .

Sponsored Links
And double check hinge side, nothing more annoying than finding you put a handle on hinge side by mistake .

Weve all done that one :eek:

Its like marking something off the 100mm mark for accuracy, only...........D'oh! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to all for the replies, but I found a super jig in IKEA. 2 quid for a piece of L shaped plastic with holes at every possible measurement. Called FIXA. Used it to mark the centres with a pencil, then I made a mark with a bradawl to centre the drill point. Worked every time.
It's probably not a very durable product, but it's done 30 handles so far.

Thanks to all for the replies, but I found a super jig in IKEA. 2 quid for a piece of L shaped plastic with holes at every possible measurement. Called FIXA. Used it to mark the centres with a pencil, then I made a mark with a bradawl to centre the drill point. Worked every time.
It's probably not a very durable product, but it's done 30 handles so far.
you could use it to make another wooden jig but would have to affix upside down as the edge off the jig has to be a baton width more than the hook

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back