Tips on fitting kitchen door handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I've just fitted a few kitchen door and drawer fronts.

I need to fit the handles, but there are no dimples on the backs of them.

I'm worried about getting them all in different places.

I've thought about making a template, that I can line up with the bottom and side, with 2 holes in... Any other (easier) mothods I'm missing?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I use a bit of stiff cardboard or off-cut of hardboard for the template, lasts long enough to do the job.Just don't rush it..

I did mine with careful measuring, then a small hole from the front, then the correct size hole from the front, and back - so that there was no 'burst' damage from the drill bit.

A friend who is a joiner uses a template, however I expect you would potentially need a template for 30, 40, 50 60cm doors! By the time you have made all those templates, you could have measured each door separately, unless the kitchen is massive.

Sponsored Links
I did mine with careful measuring, then a small hole from the front, then the correct size hole from the front, and back - so that there was no 'burst' damage from the drill bit.

A friend who is a joiner uses a template, however I expect you would potentially need a template for 30, 40, 50 60cm doors! By the time you have made all those templates, you could have measured each door separately, unless the kitchen is massive.
Door size does not matter , template used from one corner only.

Suppose it depends on handle position. Mine are horizontal in the middle of the door. But I see your point for verticle handles

I just set-out with my trusty combi squares (I have two of them) and then drill slightly oversize (5 or 6mm - gives a bit of "shimmy" space )from the face of the door/drawer front with the item firmly clamped onto a piece of scrap MFC or MDF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back