John Harrison, bad gas advice

That would explain why we have not heard from him for several years.

Apparent he was a design engineer for industrial gas burners.

Sponsored Links
That would explain why we have not heard from him for several years.

Apparent he was a design engineer for industrial gas burners.

After reading another thread Tony I'm now not sure Dr Drivel is six feet under!!!

Sponsored Links
A load of Drivel about Water Systems heated by a BigBurner installed by AlexCarp in my opinion.

LOL!! Good one mate.

The more I read the more I think I'm wrong, he's Dr Drivel aka Big Burner, Water Systems etc etc etc

He retired from his design engineer job perhaps 15 - 20 years ago.

giving conflicting/bad and potentially dangerous gas advice.
[/USER]
Will you point out these conflicts and dangerous advice. Your idea of responding to something which you are not familiar with, or do not understand (understanding is not one of your strong points), is an ad hominem attack. You could not think out of the box as long you have a hole in..... You always do what you have always done. Probably one years experience repeated 20 times. As Mr Puller points out, someone give a gas course from the Dole or the Army on leaving.

This goes to the many so-called "professionals" here.

The mods should ban whingers. I can't stand whingers!

This LeeC wrote this was dangerous advice... He did...really he did....he was all upset about it...he was....

Electrogear, as an alternative, you could fit a:
  1. Worcester Bosch Greenspring instant water heater delivering 21 litres/min. It is 50kW. Cost about £1,300.
  2. Fit a small, cheap, system boiler doing the CH.
  3. A vented solar cylinder with a big mains pressure coil with mains cold water being preheated and feeding the Greensping. Could be fitted later.
You are then diving and ruling with each system being simple. Also if the gas meter is being exceeded, have a flow switch on the cold feed to the solar cylinder/Greenspring which switches out the system boiler (via the boilers's stat circuit) when DHW is drawn off. Then you have a simple priority system and the 6 cu Metres/hr (62kW) gas meter limit is not exceeded. The diversity factor calc may put you within the meter's limit.
Worth pricing up. It may save space as well.
What I described is in the Rinnai Twinflow here on a DIYNot thread, but using different cheaper kit:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-heating-system-boiler-choice.198072/

These people claim to be professionals. No. They are tradesmen. Professionals are qualified engineers (do not confuse servicemen with engineers). Tradesmen are not in the professions.

It's deffo Dr Drivel lads!!!........He's back!!!

The rinnai twin flow used a very specific type of flow switch-Google won't tell you that.
The Twinflow used a normally open switch that is all. But a SPDT switch in any flow switch, using the normally open contacts of the switch will do. Rinnai used an off-the-shelf ATAG boiler. You could have the two in a frame or separately in different parts of the house.
As such any attempt to exceed a gas metered output by use of adhoc equipment against the manufacturers wishes is dangerous and bad gas advice.
You should have wrote "As such any attempt NOT to exceed a gas metered output".
Show me where the makers mention anything about external switching of the boiler! Or anything about exceeding or keeping within a gas meter's limit. You don't know what you are on about. I am sure you are good at drains, drilling holes in walls and lifting floor boards though. I doubt you have ever heard of the Twinflow. "twin" because it used two separate appliances with one have priority over the other.

The Greenspring multi-point water heater and a small system boiler is a cost effective way of getting 21 litres per minute and the ability to latch on a solar cylinder. You could not understand that which was explained so clearly.

The mods should ban whingers. I can't stand whingers! Especially those who haven't a clue what they are on about.

Last edited:
Show me where the makers mention anything about external switching of the boiler?
Most modern boilers require permanent mains as well as the switched mains demand for heating. The permanent supply being necessary for pre-ignition tests when the demand becomes active and for post burn close down ( pump over run etc ) when demand is removed.

So it not just a simple case of a change over switch because conflicts with pump over runs and other pre- and post-burn functions are involved when muliple boilers are sharing common pipe work.

I am NOT gas safe registered but ( in years gone by ) have been involved in the design of electronics for the monitoring ( safety and functional ) of industrial heating systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back