Johnson and stanley j52-32

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've a Johnson and Stanley j25-32 MK3 modairflow system. Is it necessary to have the hot water pilot light lit all the time. I don't kneed hot water all day everyday. Help please!

Sponsored Links
The hot water boiler is separate (although in the same metal case) as the hot air heater. It is designed to have the pilot light on all the time, so that the burner can light when hot water is required. It's probably a gravity-circulating hot water heating system, so it would take hours to heat up the hot water again from cold if you were to turn it off (which you could do, using the timer, but the pilot would stay alight anyway).

If it's gas consumption you're worrying about, there's probably no need to worry. Just because you don't need hot water all day every day, it doesn't mean that much energy is being wasted if your hot water cylinder is well insulated. Any heat that does "leak out" of the hot water cylinder / heater / pilot burner is actually warming the surrounding air, so if it's indoors that isn't wasted heat as such.

Also, it's possible the pilot light itself may consume so little gas that it doesn't even register on your gas meter.... although this could be urban myth and I'm not qualified to confirm!

Also, it's possible the pilot light itself may consume so little gas that it doesn't even register on your gas meter.... although this could be urban myth and I'm not qualified to confirm!
Never stared at at a meter long enough to find out..But stating the bleedin obvious..It does not consume zero gas so will show and will have a cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back