Johnston Aqua

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just painted our window and window sill with 2 coats of Johnston Aqua Undercoat and 2 coats of Johnston Aqua Gloss. I opted for this paint as forums suggest it is likely to yellow than Dulux Trade but I have found it is not durable at all. On the window sill, a simple scratch with keys or finger nails take off all the paint and undercoat.

I rang Johnston for advice, their answer was "if you scratch a a car with keys, the paint will come off".

Anyone else experienced this issue? Have I done something wrong or should I go back to Dulux.

Sponsored Links
If it is going back to bare wood there are two possibilities that come to mind, firstly the paint while dry has not yet fully cured, it can take weeks particularly in cold of damp weather even inside. The other cause is that the surface was not prepared properly or was contaminated with wax/polish or varnish.
I have used Aqua on three rooms now and so far it is fine. I do avoid putting toot / junk (my wife calls them ornaments) on the surface for a couple of weeks to avoid marking the new soft finish.
Holding my breath I have just scratched at the window sill which the last painted about three months ago and it holds fine.

Hi all,

I have just painted our window and window sill with 2 coats of Johnston Aqua Undercoat and 2 coats of Johnston Aqua Gloss. I opted for this paint as forums suggest it is likely to yellow than Dulux Trade but I have found it is not durable at all. On the window sill, a simple scratch with keys or finger nails take off all the paint and undercoat.

I rang Johnston for advice, their answer was "if you scratch a a car with keys, the paint will come off".

Anyone else experienced this issue? Have I done something wrong or should I go back to Dulux.

Water based paint wont cure below 12 degrees and only slow slightly above. It can take up to a month for paint to fully cross link.

There is a difference between durability and surface resistance to abrasion. Water based paint will never be very hard, but it is more flexible than oil based which means it wont crack.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

A nice example of whataboutery by Johnstones, completely side stepping the fact that the paint doesn't even pass the fingernail test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back