Joiner didn't remove skirting for laminate & siliconed e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Looking for some advice. I got a joiner from my work to fit laminate flooring in my kitchen. I spoke to him before the job and he said that I would not need to remove the skirting as he would scribe around the skirting and it would be neat up to the skirting.

He came around and fitted the laminate last night. Looks great but I realise why he didn't need to remove skirting. He has left a gap of around 5mm and then put clear silione over the top to seal it with the skirting.

It actually looks ok but it would not be my choice way to do it. I never thought that he would ever put silicone around the skirting to finish it off because from previous experience it just pulls off from the gloss painted skirting and the smooth laminate.

When we orginally discussed this, he said that I did not need expansion gaps in such a small room.

Is this a normal practice for joiners to do?

Also, he was supposed to sand off the bottom of my doors as they stick on the new carpet. He proceeded to use a jigsaw on them and no the bottoms are all split on one side.

Is this normal as well? Should he have belt sanded them and would this have prevented the laminate wood ripping off.

Thanks for any replies.

Fluff

Sponsored Links
Best way imo is to remove skirting fit laminate and renew skirting far better looking job.

The door should be removed and either sanded or planed.

Sponsored Links
not ideal especially in a kitchen i assume the bead is on the surface rather than in the gap

he should have scored the door with a stanley knife

You say he's a joiner? :eek:

I'd always remove skirting before fitting wood/laminate flooring if at all possible, gives a much better finish IMO.

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. My thoughts are the same as yours. The reason we got a joiner to do the doors was because we didn't have a sander.

Re. The laminate. I would have removed the skirting like I did when fitting the hall. I got a joiner in as there were some awkward bits. The silicone is actually into the gaps, not just providing a seal between the skirting and floor. There is also silicone down the gap between the laminate and wooden threshold on the floor at the back door.

This is a time served joiner. He also chipped 2 of the planks when hammering them together therefore he is is going to put the floor filler stuff in the gaps to make it smooth and cover the chips.

Forgot to say that the floor is about 2.5 boards wide by about 2.5 long (they are the wider boards from howdens). The joiner has layer 2 boards wide by 2 boards long side by side with no staggered joints. On such a small area will this cause problems?
Fluff

The joys of so called competent tradesmen.

he hasnt got a clue then :eek: :eek: :eek:
you must stagger and leave at minimum 6mm un obstructed on even the smallest area
but dont worry the damp will ruin the floor within a year or 2 anyway :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Forgot to say that the floor is about 2.5 boards wide by about 2.5 long (they are the wider boards from howdens). The joiner has layer 2 boards wide by 2 boards long side by side with no staggered joints. On such a small area will this cause problems?

classic,i do hope he didnt charge you to much.

Thanks guys, I still have to pay him tomorrow. Haven't spoken to him since he did it. It does look good but I just know that it has not been laid correctly and it has really annoyed me. I couldn't believe that a joiner didn't stagger boards. He will say it doesn't matter. Just like he says it doesn't matter about expansion gaps in such a small area.

He isn't asking for too much for ruining 2 of my doors and not laying my flooring correctly. The good tradesmen are few and far between unfortunately.

Thanks again
Fluff

The good tradesmen are few and far between unfortunately.

no there are loads of us out there,but as there are a lot of fly by nights ripping off customers with there cheap prices its hard for the good guys to compete.

but as the old saying goes
pay cheap pay twice.

if you still owe him money wait until he asks for it the politley tell him to sort out the total cock up he has created,bet he wont. ;)

I didn't go for someone necessarily cheap. I didn't know how much he would cost but I did know he wouldn't rip me off. He does work for my employer and the work looks good, hence my reason for going with him. I have had a number of jobs done by expensive companies with nowhere near perfect work either. I did not want to take my chance with someone I didn't know.

I am going to have to learn how to do ever trade lol. Thing was I thought I would try him before getting my kitchen redone in a few years. He won't be getting the work now

Thanks for everyones replies. Fingers crossed my laminate doesn't start to lift.
Fluff

DONT PAY HIM!! definately not a joiner time served or not, you can be time served 30 yrs experience etc etc. means absolutely NOTHING if the person isnt proud of their work. A DIYER COULD OF DONE THAT JOB BETTER. really annoys me when so called tradesmen seem to forget that a mans home is his castle and for 99% of us it will be the most expensive thing we ever purchase in life. maybe one day he will get a bricky in his house to do a wall and wont stagger the joints either..........

In my experience joiners/carpenters are NOT floor layers.
99% of skirting is NOT removed because it causes more damage and cost to my customers to replace.
It's a floating floor,so a gap of 6/7 mm should be left around the edges,then a scotia or FLAT edging is used to cover the gap. In bathrooms/kitchens the joints should be PVA'd when fitting,this prevents moisture seeping into the joints. Employ a floor layer who will give you sound advice before he starts.
With over 30 years experience,laminate/wood flooring is NOT a DIY project.
I have seen hundreds of amateur installations.
Leave it to the PRO's!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back