Joiner lost my house key..... what's reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a joiner in a few weeks ago to hang a door. We had to go away on holiday earlier than planned, and leave him to finish up and drop the key through letterbox.

He didn't drop it through, and after some chasing he said he lost the key and would pay for a replacement. Thing is, it was a brand new lock (of a pair of key-alike ones) that I had ordered 2 weeks earlier. They are laser cut keys as we wanted security. Whole set was £120.

Is it reasonable to expect him to pay to replace both locks and all keys (And then he can have the old locks if he wants), or should I accept him paying the cost of a key? We don't like the idea of a key to all our external doors being somewhere not known to us, although it was unmarked, so not likely anyone will guess where it came from. The trader seems trustworthy.... I think. We also don't want to be d1cks about it.

Any input appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I would ask for replacement or rekeying (if possible/cheaper)
He could recoup some of his money if he replaces and keeps the old locks.

if rekeying is possible, it could be cheaper for him, but he would be stuck with a potentially bigger “loss” as he won’t be able to supply the used locks on to a customer.

I would change the locks again and get him to reimburse the cost of the key. £120 is a small price to pay for security.

Sponsored Links
Definitely get a new lock fitted, the lost key might have been stolen by criminals to be used later to gain entrance to the house.

change locks, who knows where the key may have landed - possibly when this is explained to him, the key may be found , as he may be bothered to look for it

I put customer keys on my own keyring.

Think you need to swap locks out again and he should pay. I feel for the guy as we all make mistakes.

We had a joiner in a few weeks ago to hang a door. We had to go away on holiday earlier than planned, and leave him to finish up and drop the key through letterbox.

He didn't drop it through, and after some chasing he said he lost the key and would pay for a replacement. Thing is, it was a brand new lock (of a pair of key-alike ones) that I had ordered 2 weeks earlier. They are laser cut keys as we wanted security. Whole set was £120.

Is it reasonable to expect him to pay to replace both locks and all keys (And then he can have the old locks if he wants), or should I accept him paying the cost of a key? We don't like the idea of a key to all our external doors being somewhere not known to us, although it was unmarked, so not likely anyone will guess where it came from. The trader seems trustworthy.... I think. We also don't want to be d1cks about it.

Any input appreciated!

Most keys can be replicated. Unless he lost the key outside your home. I would just ask him to replace the lost key at his cost...

I've explained via text that costs and the locks were brand new, and sent a photo of a key so he knows exactly what to look for.

Yes very tempted to replace the lot again, more so is the wife. I cannot imagine the key being tracked back to our house, unless the guy turns out to be crooked. Just feels worse as the locks are brand new, because we had one of the old keys unaccounted for, so replaced.

I feel bad for the guy too, he's a small business and it will hurt him to replace.

Thanks for all the input :)

Sponsored Links
Back