joining 2 timbers which cross at 90 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After some guru help please. I've designed and made the following deck and frame as below but I'm stuck as how to now attach the top battens going towards the house on. Ideally I don't want to strap over as I have UPVC roofing going on and the snap in metal bits run along each of these battens.

The timbers cross at 90 degrees and are all 75mm x 47mm

I've seen there are some twisted sort of ties but they all seem far too long at about 1m, I only need something around 150mm max length.

Any ideas please. I'm guessing keeping the roof in place isn't the issue, it's keeping it all attached down if there are gusts?

overall area of frame is 4.2m wide by 3m deep

Thanks in advance
Neil

fix-1.jpg
fix-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you not running the sheeting in the 3m direction? And with a slight fall?
Tie down straps will work. With the purlins side stitched.

The initial problem you have (that you may just not have shown) is that there are no 45degree strts at the corners to provide any bracing. Once those have been intoruced, then Lostinthelights suggestion becomes more feasible, but you'd use this type instead. But as Roger says, if you are putting glazing sheets on, then you need to set the side pieces in place with the appropriate fall, and then put the cross memebers in place, so in effect, you'd turn the roof over - you want the glazing supported across the glazing, not in the same direction as it's laid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back