Timber Frame corner detail for NON 90 degree angle corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wondered if anyone knew any details for joining timber frame walls in the corners, when the angle of that corner is in the region of 120 degrees and maybe 70 degrees - basically not 90.

I'm aware of the various options available with regards to california corners and cross overs - I'm trying to find some kind of Trada detail or something that shows a good setup to get a good nail fitting in to a corner. The walls are 6x2s, approx 2.5m high and currently using an Hitachi nailgun with 90 and 75mm nails. I'm wanting to avoid turning the 6x2's off straight 90 degree from the sole and header plates, as this would cause protrusion either on the external or internal facing wall - Did think about getting in some 4x2's instead on an angle for the end section, but didn't know how this would affect rigidity of the corner.

Thanks

Attachments

• SS_floorplan.jpg
    SS_floorplan.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 875
Sponsored Links
Make the panels first with set- back corner posts, overhang the sheathing to allow for a plant-on timber afterwards.

It will tend to be need some 25mm batten to fill the joint where the two panels meet.

The timbers can all be kept square.

Sponsored Links
Ok thats ideal thanks, I figured that would be the solution, rather than stripping up wood on angle to slot in, but good to hear someone else confirm that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back