joining big swa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
opinions please

doing a rewire of a factory/ workshop where i work. just about figured out how im going to do it ( been a ball ache because trying to keep downtime down :LOL: )

theres a possibility though i may have to joint some big swa. current setup is some 120mm 4 core feeding a Db. Im scrapping the db and hoping to move the circuits to other boards. with the cable i have left over (the 4 x 120mm) im then hoping to use it to power a big welding set (100 Amp per phase :eek: ).

only problem is its not long enough so i will need to get some more swa and join it.

1,the origanol swa is from a busbar chamber and doesnt have an isolator so i obviously need one in. my idea was to use an isolator to join the cables ( solving 2 problems at once) opinions on this???

so, busbar chamber-swa (4 x 120mm)-isolator-swa (?)-welding set.

2, i havent done the calcs yet but im thinking the new swa wont need to be 120mm, can anybody see a problem if i make the swa smaller from the joint onwards (obviously itd be fused for the second cable)

3, whats peoples thought on the isolator, protection being in the middle of the run? suppose in a way its still protected.

cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
1)I can't see any reasons why not, make sure it is clearly labelled fed from and feed to.

2)I don't see any problem.

3)You will be better with an isolator at point of utilisation as well.

Sponsored Links
Don't wish to sound rude, but why are you working on a system when you have to come to a DIY forum to ask questions? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back