Joining Boards

The boards you're looking at are already edge jointed it seems. In this case, they are using the term "laminated" to mean glued edge to edge. so there will be many thinner strips glued edge on to form a much wider section of stock. If it's bare wood, it will accept stain relatively well but be aware you may see glue lines if the jointing isnt particularly great. The main thing I'd be looking at there is how they have been acclimated. The last thing people generally want is for gaps to appear in a table top later, which is why you should never make anything other than rough furniture out of the "DIY shed" type plastic wrapped timber.

Regardless, ideally *any* timber you bring into your home that you plan to work should be properly acclimated for a few months before being worked. It gives it time to get used to your central heating cycle and the local climate. It also lets it dry a little more. It's fair to say it's not always possible to do this of course. In which case, your best option is to find wood to work with that has ideally been slow grown and air dried and is also of a stable species. Softwoods tend to move a fair bit, but thats a complicated subject on its own and its best to look at the wood database, which you can find via Google.

This is a very expansive subject to be quite honest and I could write a book on this alone almost.

It's not necessarily that the edges of boards to be joined need to be perfectly flat (almost impossible to be honest), they just need to be flat relative to each other. There are tons of ways, but heres the ones I use:

1) Clamp both boards in a vice and plane the edges at the same time to a fine finish. The hand plane used depends on the thickness of the boards you wish to join. Once planed, they should fit together perfectly, even if there is a slight angle to the edges relative to the top. The key is that they are planed together. Generally, unless you have a large hand plane like a No.7, this will limit the thickness of boards you can use.

2) A jointer. In the UK, we call this a planer, often part of a planer/thicknesser machine. To use one properly is something that takes practice not just for the execution of the task, but the calibration of the machine itself. Since you don't have a planer, I'm going to stop there.

3) A track saw. A good tracksaw like the Festool TS55 is capable of jointing boards relatively well. It's not really good enough for a fine furniture finish to a table top straight off the saw, but a pass or two from a smoother plane will make it work. However, for a rustic looking table top, the tracksaw alone will do a good enough job. The idea is that you get the board edges close enough together by other methods (bandsaw etc) that the kerf of the tracksaw blade is enough to perform the jointing. What this means is, you get them to the point where theres say at most, a 1mm gap, then place side by side in the orientation required, and run the saw along the gap. The kerf of a typical tracksaw, being 2mm or so, will cover the gap and joint the boards, any error such as deflection, being distributed equally between the two pieces. This way, any error on the saw cut cancels itself out and you get a near perfect joint. The only real issue there is that to get an invisible joint as you'd want in fine furniture, the saw teeth leave tiny almost imperceptible swirls, which prevent the joint being properly close.

I've attached some pictures of what I consider to be well jointed table tops. They are my own work. I'm not Chippendale by any means, but they are what I consider acceptable personally. The lighter wood is hard maple and was jointed using a bevel up smoothing plane, a Lie Nielsen 62. It's 22mm thick. The darker wood is Black Walnut and was jointed initially using a tracksaw, then planed smooth as pairs using a No.7 jointer plane. It is 44mm thick. Sorry for the lighting, they are pieces I made for home so I just went and took a couple of snaps for you.

On reflection, the walnut has better jointing than the maple, but in actuality, neither is particularly left wanting as far as I'm concerned. For interest purposes, maple has 4 boards in the image, walnut has 3.

20171217_020716.jpg

20171217_020837.jpg

The thicker the boards are, the harder they will be to joint successfully and you also have to be careful to avoid tear out, which means sharp tooling across the board and good practice to prevent it.

For 30mm thick, you'll need a lot of clamping pressure, which means a lot of (good) clamps. You'll want to use boards under each clamping face to spread the pressure equally. You'd also want to use cauls (and extra clamps to do so) to keep it flat and also orient the grain of each board correctly to avoid cupping of the finished top over time. Cauls you can make youself, but they do require care in the making if you want to keep things flat. It's best to glue a wide top up in sections. If you try to do it all at once, keeping it flat during glue up is going to be a nightmare.

If you make a table top, it's best to make it over size slightly and wait until the base is complete before cutting to the final dimension. Again, a tracksaw is ideal for that in the absence of anything else.

It all depends on how precise you want the finished result to be and the look you want to achieve.

I think really the best advice I could give you is to practice first on the same wood you intend to use. Don't give up if it doesn't go to plan. If furniture making was easy, everyone would be doing it. Any fool can stick a few nails in a pallet, stick it on pinterest or twitter and call it furniture, but it takes more than a bit of skill to make a table properly.

If I can help you further, let me know.

PS. Before you do any jointing or gluing of solid timber, you do need to make sure you've taken account of how it will move over time. Timber movement, or rather understanding and accommodating it, is one of the biggest and most important challenges in furniture making. If someone simply screws down a table top to a fixed base and leaves it, it will tear itself apart over time. I'd suggest looking into that aspect when formulating your design, if you havent already.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
just be aware the may have finger jointed staves in the board[end to end jointed in a zig zag fashion]

I've used JAS Timber in Blackburn - you can specify that you want plain butt jointed boards (which was the norm in any case when I last bought from them)

Sponsored Links
So would the above link not be suitable for my needs and would I be able to apply danish oil to colour and protect it?

Thanks

James

It would be suitable. Be aware, though, that oil finishes don't protect wood all that well, require reapplication regularly and will acquire dirt (or "patina" as the antique trade call it) over time. Also Danish oil is actually a catchall name - if you compare the formulation of various Danish oils you will find that the constituents and mixtures vary wildly. The most commonly used oils are boiled linseed oil and polymerised tung oil, but they aren't the only things in there. My own preference for pine is to wax it (I like the smell of wax), but it's all down to personal taste, as you know

Oh right its more to give it some colour and some protection from a couple of glasses or some drinks spilled. Would it deal with this?

I am looking at this from B&Q: http://www.diy.com/departments/colron-refined-antique-pine-danish-oil-0-5l/127885_BQ.prd

I have also read you use the particular danish oil for the wood (in the above case for pine and would use ceder for ceder wood etc) but I thought that was just the colour? I have also read that you have to stain the wood prior to using danish oil to get the colour required is this correct? if so what sort of stain would be needed prior to danish oil being applied? Or can it just be applied to bare wood from my link above?

Thanks

James

Oh right its more to give it some colour and some protection from a couple of glasses or some drinks spilled. Would it deal with this?

I am looking at this from B&Q: http://www.diy.com/departments/colron-refined-antique-pine-danish-oil-0-5l/127885_BQ.prd

I have also read you use the particular danish oil for the wood (in the above case for pine and would use ceder for ceder wood etc) but I thought that was just the colour? I have also read that you have to stain the wood prior to using danish oil to get the colour required is this correct? if so what sort of stain would be needed prior to danish oil being applied? Or can it just be applied to bare wood from my link above?

Thanks

James

I personally don't stain wood. It's just not for me. If I want the wood to be a different colour, I buy a different species from the outset. Of course thats just me.

Regarding Danish Oil. Your mileage may vary. There are varying blends, it's not a standard formula. It isn't the most hard wearing of finishes and as JobAndKnock says, will require periodic reapplication (all finishes do). I use oil finishes a lot myself (the two images I showed were oil finished) and find them to be relatively hard wearing, but it comes down to the oil. What you find in B&Q will probably not be the best around but if you were to ask me what the best is, I'd decline to answer.

If this is a table you plan to use regularly, I'd personally be looking at a simple wipe on waxoil finish from Osmo. There are many types but most are easy to apply if you follow the instructions. They are reasonably long lasting for the effort involved, but will of course yellow over time if exposed to sunlight, as will all finishes to some extent. Pesky UV.

Some of the Osmo stuff has a tint to it or more, but go easy. No matter what you do, you'll never make pine look like walnut. If a drastic colour change is in order for your project, you'd be better off sealing the wood and painting it.

Research is key to this, to be honest. Finishing is such a complicated area. Osmo would give you a one stop shop, at least in so far as that exists in finishing wood.

as an aside
descriptions off finish are nothing to do with the suggested colour that the finish may very roughly look like when applied to wood
in other words if you are lucky it will give a vauge look or finish that may look approximately like rather than this is a " dark oak" light oak" antique pine" "mahogany " finish
in other words they are trying to suggest normal white pine or popular may give an appearance but never ever look like as the grain and knot structure is not the same
none off the finishes will ever be for a a specific timber

Last edited:
Great thanks. :)

The other half wants it making out of pine and coloring so it will match the rest of the furniture in the room. So I will do the danish oil or one of the waxes as suggested if it doesn't come out quite right she will just have to live with it! Personally I haven't worked with walnut or any hardwood before but something in the near future I will be doing so that will be good and I may (once I have had a play with a few different woods) do what you do @justbigboned as it seems a better option than trying to finish everything all the time. Maybe just apply a clear coat of oil or something but that's it or just leave it as is could be a better idea depending on the features of the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back