Joining different make plastic pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to make a straight connection between two plastic plumbing pipes - one of the pipes is 15mm JG Speedfit, the other 22mm Hepworth and they need joining together with a joint that has the lowest probability of leaking (the pipes are buried in a roof crawl space).... So I am thinking compression fitting. Whack the correct inserts into both pipes, nip up a reducing compression fitting - sorted.
Anyone got any tips, or better solutions? Should I use copper compression rings or are brass OK?

Sponsored Links
just use a speedfit fitting. they are ok on hep.

Really? I thought it was a no-no to mix different manufacturers pipes and fittings, no?
Is the likelihood of a leak on a pushfit fitting similar to that of a compression fitting? Reason being if this fitting leaks it will be a right mess to clean up as it is in the loft.... the thought of a pushfit blowing off is giving me palpitations.

if you are really worried about going speedfit to hep, you could put a short piece of copper between the two and use speedfit fitting one end and a hep on the other. that way it is all kosher and as the manufacturer intended. make sure you put the correct insert into the plastic pipe - they are different for hep and speedfit.

in this situation, i would have used the original grey hep fittings to go from the speedfit straight to the hep pipe. but i will not go anywhere near the new 'white' hep as it is no better than speedfit but three times the price.

Sponsored Links
Ok. Glad i asked then. I have some 22 to 15 Speedfit reducers, so I will use them with the right inserts in the Hep and JG pipes and just make the joint in pushfit. Saves some faffing about anyway.

You can get Hep 15 to 22 straight couplings. Use the correct make of insert in each pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back