Joining drainpipe bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've assembled quite a nice arrangement of standard round black drainpipe bits to take water off a flat roof via guttering and down pipes, into another gulley, round the corner, down another drop etc....into the patio drain which works beautifully, but suffers from drippage where the various joins and bends are pushed into each other. Is there a specific product I need to get to securely join and seal the bits, or can I used a standard gutter sealant? The ones I've seen all seem to call themselves emergency repair which leads me to believe they're just a temporary fix until some proper permanent repairs are done.

Sponsored Links
Have you assembled them correctly? Your sockets (female joints) should all face up

I've assembled quite a nice arrangement of standard round black drainpipe bits to take water off a flat roof via guttering and down pipes, into another gulley, round the corner, down another drop etc....into the patio drain which works beautifully, but suffers from drippage where the various joins and bends are pushed into each other. Is there a specific product I need to get to securely join and seal the bits, or can I used a standard gutter sealant? The ones I've seen all seem to call themselves emergency repair which leads me to believe they're just a temporary fix until some proper permanent repairs are done.

The d/p should not leak if connected properly(read previous post)

To secure the fittings use a solvent glue/cement.

[quote="terrypin"

To secure the fittings use a solvent glue/cement.[/quote]

You don't glue RWP.

Sponsored Links
Is that correct? No it isn't

All RWP should be glued at the R/O's and shoes.

My personal preference is to glue all unions/fittings in case of bracket failure.[/quote]

My personal preference is to glue all unions/fittings in case of bracket failure.
[/quote]

I am a time served plumber who spent a lot of that time fitting RWP on the largest housing estate in europe at the time.You do not glue RWP.
You allow it to leak in case a downpipe gets blocked.You would not want the whole gutter system filling with water.

My personal preference is to glue all unions/fittings in case of bracket failure.

I am a time served plumber who spent a lot of that time fitting RWP on the largest housing estate in europe at the time.You do not glue RWP.
You allow it to leak in case a downpipe gets blocked.You would not want the whole gutter system filling with water.[/quote]

Are you saying it shouldn't be glue at the outlet as well?

you can get little caps that pop into a hole (that you drill) that hold the parts together, but the bends shouldnt leak, they may be the wrong way round. IMO if it needs glue to stop the leak then summat aint right

s60tsy";p="3165530 said:
you can get little caps that pop into a hole (that you drill) that hold the parts together, but the bends shouldnt leak, they may be the wrong way round. IMO if it needs glue to stop the leak then summat aint right[/quote

Nobody mentioned glue to stop leaks :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back