Joining Kitchen Worktops - again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to go through this again. I've waded through quite a few posts but still in two minds whether to try the butt and scribe joint or whether to bottle it and just use a metal strip to cover it.

I have a U shaped kitchen so need two 90 degree worktop joins. I've access to a router but thats about it so would have to buy the clamps, cutters and jigs, or at least rent.

Is this easy enough to do, or does it take years of practice? I'm assuming looking that as long as the jig doesn't slip it should be OK. I've also looked at all the kitchen showrooms and have yet to see one that is not well finished. Again, I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that it must be easy enough. I'm OK at DIY, but just keen to make sure I dont bite off more than I can chew.

Finally, has anyone used any of the cheaper rigs from ebay? I only want to do this once so I dont want to spend a fortune. What is the difference in quality with the jigs - some of them seem very expensive for what they are.

egs:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-900...4QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42338QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/900mm-Kitchen...7QQihZ009QQcategoryZ20781QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Personal taste says don't use jointing strips as looks cheap - but depends on why you are doing the kitchen - as a quick development or for you to use as a home. I would say do lots of reading which is what I have done - type 'installing laminate worksurfaces' into Google - the article by Tim Foley is very useful. Alternatively I found raygirling.com to be very informative also. Once you have read you need to practice - the stage I am currently at - I got hold of some offcuts of worktops - as you will see from my post I have encountered problems but following the very helpful advice from here and with extra practice I think these will be overcome. I bought a jig and router from e-bay - see here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Worktop-Jig-2...hZ011QQcategoryZ20781QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

They also sell the jigs separately and i found them a very good company to deal with. I think that with the addition of some better quality cutters this will prove adequate for my needs of two joints.

Of course, I have yet to do the real thing and, as they say, the proof of the pudding ...
Hope that this helps

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks Gary,
I did read your post and was keeping an eye on how you got on. The link from RayGirling was great. Just what I needed. Curious to hear how you get on for real. Are you doing this anytime soon?

Are you happy (so far) with the quality of the jig and router etc. Seems a reasonable price.

Might be worth me investing in it. I'm just a bit worried about investing loads of money and then finding I a) I cant get a decent finish and screw up the worktop or b) I decide not to use it in the end as it seems too difficult

Thanks for your help anyway. I look forward to hearing how you get on

It seems fine so far. Am planning to do this for real the week after next (so long as Homebase deliver on time!!!) Will certainly let you know how I get on

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I look forward to hearing how it goes. You are probably doing it about a week before me. I'll have a think about what I plan to do.

Not as difficult as you would think. I have done our last 2 kitchens using a template made from 6mm plywood as a guide. My Makita router packed up just before I did the first so I hired a router, the second was done with a £25 router from Homebase .

It is basically a strainght cut with a 45 deg section the depth of the profiled front.

The important things are:
Check your measurements;
Check your measurements again;
Use a good carbide tipped cutter;
make sure the cutter is cutting in at the front edge to avoid damaging it (may mean working upside down;
Don't overload the router;
Take your time.

The installation inspector (Wife) started off by asking why I was doing it that way - why didn't I just use the metal trim.... and ended up saying it looked much better than the metal trims.

Thanks. That puts my mind at rest a bit.
Think I will order the tools and have a go.

Has anyone ever paid a joiner to come in to do this one job?

If so, what did he charge?

I'm thinking of installing a new kitchen, but would not want to spoil it with a crappy join on the worktop.

Depending on where you are in the UK, somewhere around £45 to £65 per joint which includes Colorfill and joiners.

Scrit

Confiteor said:
Has anyone ever paid a joiner to come in to do this one job?

If so, what did he charge?

I'm thinking of installing a new kitchen, but would not want to spoil it with a rubbishy join on the worktop.

I did it was £60

however he did not finish the job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back