JOINING MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
building a book shelf 2.6m high so i need to join 2 pieces of mdf together will it be strong enough if i glue & dowel them? or do i need to get some kind of bracket made (didn,t mention it,s only 20" wide & 14" deep ) hope this makes sense any ideas

Sponsored Links
several options realy

if its a boring basic bookshelve then plan the bookshelve as two halves with the bottom complete finnishing with a shelve as the top but inside the sides

in otherwords you cut all 10 or however many shelves the same length and line the top shelve with the top sides

assuming they are 12 or 18mm you can dowel or slot biscuit being carfull if you used screws at the join to avoid them

other choices are to build a fancy plinth of 2 or 3 layers and a pelmit again of 2 or 3 layers to take up the difference between 2440 and 2600

dont forget iff the full ceilling heigh is 2600your shelves will have to be at least 50mm smaller to allow the unit to stand up from the horizontal because of the diagonal being greater than the length

or if in 2 pieces with dowels or biscuits you will need halve the dowel length clearence plus a few mm to alow you to drop the top on the bottom

Easiest option is to go to a decent panel supplier and by a large press sheet this will be 3050x1220.

If you already have the boards then as BA says dowels or biscuits will keep the two halfs in line and there is no pulling loads. Fill any gaps with epoxy wood filler, sand and paint.

Jason

Sponsored Links
cheers ba & jason all very helpful think ill dowel and glue once again cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back