joining new plaster to old, advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom ceiling is plasterboard with what looks like multifinish on it and I have just done some work which has ended up with me cutting in a new piece of plasterboard about 500mm x 1000mm, how do i join the plaster?

Can I feather in some multifinish and if so do I need to prepare anything, i.e. pva or tape edges?

But how do I tape joins if existing side is already plastered?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Where the new board butts up to the existing plasterboard, you need to rack the plaster back to surface of existing plasterboard. Do this along the full length of joint, removing about a 50mm wide strip.
This will then allow you to tape across the joint of the two boards, then you can blend the finishing plaster across the joint.
I would PVA the area where the joint is, just as a precaution, so old plaster does not cause any unwanted suction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back