joining Oak block worktop, methods help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am fairly good at carpentry as a hobby and my friend is insisting I help them fit their worktop which is easy enough for me except for the join. I have told him that there are different methods but I don't think I can tackle the method with a jig nor do I have a jig and I think the cheap metal strip method does not give a very professional job.

I think he will get one of those Oak block worktops that they do at Ikea. It will have to go round 2 walls i.e. a 90 degree corner and obviously the corner may be out slightly.

Can you just butt these types of worktops up together once you are satisfied they meet properly?

I am thinking maybe I can plane the end edge to cope with any errors in the 90 degree corner, is that a possibility?

I have read all sorts about joining these worktops that they put in clamps but don't tighten them too much so that the wood can move etc so could I just butt them up and maybe fit clamps without getting involved with the jig/router method or would that be no good?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Cheers foxhole, and thanks for the link.

So by butt joins I take it you are just putting one piece against the other but
with the clamps are we talking really putting some force into the tightening or are we just trying to get them to stay in place?

Any tips about how to get the edge really straight/flat so it meets the other piece's side well or is it just eyeing it up and taking time tweaking it?

Also I read to apply sealer to vunerable places, ie cut out edges for sink etc, what do you use for this?

Avoid cutting the timber where it joins, it comes with a nice square edge so use that edge and trim to meet the walls at the other end.
I prefer foil tape on cut outs as it is both heat and moisture resistant and you can see what you have covered, sealing with varnish , silicon etc only works if you get complete coverage, miss even a small section and moisture can get in.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can but them up against each other. I'd add a reinforcement beneath the joint, this could be a metal bar or more wood to stop the join sagging. don't forget to use an appropriate sealant on the join as this could be disastrous for the wood.

hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back