Joining Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Hob vents by passing through main wall, turning "up" 18cm - and exits to a weatherproof vent chimney on the small flat roof adjacent

"Outside" under the flat roof is a tumble dryer ... which is venting through an external doorway.The Tumble is right under access to the hob vent exit ... surely a convenient fit

Understand that you don't want cooking smells in the dryer tube or lint in the hob tube ... but they both will exit very quickly ( just 18cm before exit to outside

Can I simply combine the two?
Should there be some form of baffle between them?
Is there such a thing as a 2 vents in/1 vent out connector (haven't seen one)?

Ta muchly !

Sponsored Links
Thank You , Spark.

Is your answer based on danger of fire ( Tumbles are renouned, as we know) with the possibility of one tube feeding the other?
Or just because it sounds like a daft thing to do?

With only one vent chimney punched through the roof - the convenience is very tempting.

cheers

Not really thinking of fire tho that should be considered, it was based on if only one was running then the air could be forced back through the other.

Sponsored Links
you could put backdraft shutters into each pipe.should eliminate the problem spark just mentioned.still no substitutefor two separate pipes though.

is there a chance the moisture from the tumble could make it way into the fan?

if so this is dangerous

also,will the moisture and air from the tumble rise upwards?

if it does you need a condensation trap or the the moisture will run straight back down the tube and into the tumble

Spark - agreed, it could blow into the other

Daytona
Backdraught shutters - that did occur to me, just to keep some degree of seperation.
I also thought of getting to the back of the chimney and completely halving it's void with a baffle. Then, in theory, the exits are , essentially, seperate - if a little constricted.

Didn't think of moisture rteturn ... good point.

Thanks, Gents, for thoughts.

------------

This issue has to happen in so many kitchen/utility room enviroments, don't it? With some access points being quite tricky ... and the expense of hacking through cavity walls etc --- using the one exit would often be logical.

My thought would be to 'bundle' together two pieces of rectangular duct to make a 2 compartment 'square' duct passing through one hole, but serving both appliances and keeping the flows completely seperate.

At the top, you could turn the two ducts 90 or 180 degrees in opposite diredtions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back