Electric socket beside vent pipe - problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a kitchen refit, the joiner said it would be better to move the underworktop sockets which were literally JUST under the worktop to lower down the wall where they could sit in the small area where appliances usually have a recessed bit at the bottom/back of them so the appliance plug wouldn't make the appliance stick out any more than it had to.

It made sense to us so the sockets got moved. The top of them is now 150mm from the floor and the tumble dryer plug sits in one of them neatly as the dryer has a recess which is 160mm high.

The problem is that one single socket is about 6 inches away and the other is a double which only an inch away (diagonally) from the 4" rigid plastic vent pipe that goes through the external wall. (It's a piece of drainage pipe that was used to line the hole made so the dryer could vent to the outside - the dryer's flexible hose gets pushed into the rigid pipe.)

The closest socket is to the right of the pipe and the bottom of the socket is just slightly lower than the top of the pipe. Both sockets are needed for the tumble dryer/dishwasher/washing machine.

I'm worried there will be a problem with either heat or moisture from the dryer. (Although most appliances are plugged in under the counter .... although are the sockets higher up????)

Re-siting the socket again will cause major disruption which I'm loathe to do, the wall has studwork which is very close together at this area and the socket cant even go sideways as the backbox wouldn't fit between the studs.

Options seem to be to leave and use.....or close vent pipe off and buy a condenser dryer. :(

Btw, we're in Scotland (in case it has any bearing) and the joiner said that Part P didn't apply as the existing socket was only being moved 60cm directly underneath it's original site. I know he's a joiner and not an electrician but he seemed to know what he was taking about and I'm no expert so I accepted what he said, I had no reason to doubt him. It's just now that we see how close the sockets actually are to the pipe that we are a bit concerned.

Opinions please? Not sure if we should be using the dryer right now or not? How much of a problem is this?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
last things first..
Part P doesn't apply in scotlands so there's no problem there..

now.. are we talking double sockets here or singles?

if it's doubles then I take it you don't have any above counter means of turning the appliances off?

also, double sockets are not rated at 26A as would seem to be common sense.. they are rated at 13A.. so plugging 2 current hungry appliances into them is not a good idea...

you really ought to not put sockets low under the cabinets behind washers / dishwashers etc in case of leaks from the appliance itself or from ascociated waterpipes and drains..

Thanks very much for replying.

The sockets underneath are 1 double beside the vent (washing machine & tumble dryer at present but will be washing machine & dishwasher shortly) ..........and 1 single which is 4 inches away roughly, (which will be tumble dryer shortly).

I have never had a means of switching off appliances other than at the plug socket itself (in any of the houses I've ever had) so if this were to change, what should be used instead of just a double socket? Or should they be in a single socket each?

I'm greatful for all advice here so I know what the best route is to take now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back