Joint Compound on Radiator Union

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it sensible to apply some form of jointing compound to the unions when re-fixing a removed radiator?

If so, is there a particular product that is most suitable?

Many thanks for any advice that can be provided.

Thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think I have some Boss White in the garage but is there much between this and the Fernox?

I guess just a thin smear of either stuff on the union is all that is required before tightening?

Thanks again,

Damian

[size=24]Boss white everytime.[/size]

When fitting my Screwfix towel rad I had a small drip from the female 1/2" BSP tapping at the bottom of the rad.

Instructions say to use at least 6 turns of PTFE which I did but I had to drain the rad 5 times and redo before sealed.

I had some Boss White but never really used it but I thought as a last ditch attempt before removing the rad and putting it on the bench that I'd give it a go. It worked first time and I was very happy. :LOL:

Boss White all the way.

Fernox LSX is quite different (and better). It is a sort of synthetic rubber that goes on like a paste buts sets when exposed to the air.

Because it stays rubbery you can still break the seal by undoing the nuts with the usual spanners.

You have to pick the bits of hardened rubber out of the joint and clean it if you take it apart and reassemble.

I now use PTFE tape and have been very pleased with it. You have to be sure it is pressed tightly onto the thread so it does not get scraped off during assembly. You can also wrap it round olives to make a good compression joint.

Boss White? thought everyone gave up on that 30 years ago! Jet Blue from wolsey will do the job, just a smear, for the threads then PTFE tape rolled on with a 100% overlap will do thejob, use a hacksaw blade to rough up the threads to stop the tape bunching up, and don't go mad with the tape and you'll be fine.

if OP is talking about just the unions he will only need jointing compound or 1-2 turns of ptfe, i think a few are getting it mixed up with 1/2" male iron thread going into radiator itself (unless its me that is confused)

Remember Boss white only on non-potable water so with Radiators its fine to use and and works well. Use with a bit of Hemp ;) Although only use that on LCS.

"Unions" " Re fixing a Removed radiator" :rolleyes: Boss Freaking White. softened with a bit of Flora if it`s gone hard :eek:

red,
as you may or may not know,once that bugger sets its never coming off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back