Joint Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've put a new sink and taps in and plumbed it all in tonight.

However, I put PTFE tape with a bit of joint compound over both the hot and cold feed joints, and when doing the hot one I think I may have overdone it with the PTFE tape....

I did it up by hand approx 4 turns and then could only get about another half turn on it with the wrench. Its on a valve at the bottom of a flexi pipe to the taps, and there are still a good few threads showing at the top that's it's not covering.

I was expecting it to leak straight away when put the water on and was going to undo it and redo, but everything is bone dry not even the slightest bit of sweating.

Now I don't know if i should undo it and redo or just leave it?

I'm worried about it possibly falling off under pressure? (although the full pressure is on already)

If it's not leaking then what's the chance of it falling off? Quite slim? If I got 4 turns out by hand then another half turn with the grips?

Sponsored Links
Leave it alone. That aint going to start leaking or burst. It's fine. Stop stressing although easier said than done. We all been there. Knew a chap that couldn't sleep and drove to empty house at 3am as worried a leak could of started from his plumbing but all good.

Leave it alone. That aint going to start leaking or burst. It's fine. Stop stressing although easier said than done. We all been there. Knew a chap that couldn't sleep and drove to empty house at 3am as worried a leak could of started from his plumbing but all good.

Many Thanks Wayners much appreciated mate will leave it!

Tape on thread of compression joint not needed.
No tape or compound on joint to flexi with rubber washer.
Before making any joint make sure you know
1. what face the sealing face is.
2. Know how the seal is made.
If its not leaking - leave well alone.

Sponsored Links
Tape on thread of compression joint not needed.
No tape or compound on joint to flexi with rubber washer.
Before making any joint make sure you know
1. what face the sealing face is.
2. Know how the seal is made.
If its not leaking - leave well alone.

Many Thanks mate, I didn't put any on the flexi side, it's on the copper pipe coming up with an olive and nut on then that connects to the valve end and then the other side of the valve end connects to the flexi hose end and leads to the pipe, I haven't put anything on that flexi hose end that connects to the valve just the other side on the copper pipe end that connects to the valve

Waste of time putting PTFE tape on the threads, it does absolutely nothing, if anything it can actually stop the fitting from tightening up properly.

A compression fitting only seals internally at each end of the olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back