Jointing worktop near sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new on the forum today, posting this both on here and Screwfix, been using both for years for advice etc. Have a question regarding jointing near a sink and one regarding sinks themselves. If anyone has the time to read the essay below and maybe chuck me a response if I am very lucky, it would be greatly appreciated.

Essentially our sink needs to be placed in an awkward position, for various reasons which I wont bore you guys and gals with, it absolutely cant go anywhere else and has to be orientated with the drainer close to the wall near a joint......... The kitchen will be a small "L" shaped kitchen with runs of worktop approx 2.5m in either direction running at near a right angle to one another. We are going to use laminate worktop, most likely Duropal in the TC finish. The sink is a standard single bowl stainless with drainer.

The issue comes with the joint. Essentially the sink is going to be placed right beside the joint (I know the joint will need to be as waterproof as possible therefore sealed correctly, absolutely cant leave wet things on it and dry as quickly as possible when it does get wet) which will be a butt and scribe joint. The joint will basically run alongside the front/inline with the front of the drainer on the female worktop side. I know this isn't ideal but having spoke to quite a few people there doesn't seem to be another way.

Obviously once the sink is cut out, the drainer area will be cut out too and will leave us with a very narrow piece of worktop on the female side to bolt to the male side. We have had a couple carpenters out and after some humming and hawing all of them thought that it would be possible to get one bolt on at the back near the wall, use a piece of mdf in underneath and screw either side of the joint to reinforce the glued joint and transfer that load to the ground/unit. I have seen this described online too as it happens with some people saying its OK, and others saying that it will be so monumentally bad that the four horsemen of the Apocalypse will turn up and bring along a friend to act as a fifth. Well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration there but you get what I mean.

Should you still be awake and able to decipher the above, my questions are:

1: Does jointing the worktop in such a manner sound OK (I know its not ideal)?

2: Are there any sinks (preferably stainless) which don't need to have the drainer area cut out? In other words sinks which can sit on the worktop if you have a hole for the bowl only (I had heard that there are some like this with threaded bits on the drainer, bolted underneath and therefore not needing to be cut out)

Sponsored Links
biscuit joint it,poly glue and use bushboard filler great gear,if you do it right you should get a tight fit without the need of bolts.but thats your choice.

Have you thought about replacing the sink with a separate single bowl and drainer, would allow more flexibility.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I have actually been doing that today, I take it you mean a standalone single bowl and some kindve plastic/metal lift on lift off drainer. Something like this:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/simpleh...kpid=2076321&gclid=CPjXo7DB4sUCFYXnwgodYjQAbQ

which will drain into the sink etc. I just find the idea a bit strange. I have seen so many kitchens online, even ones today in person with no drainer at all which I really dont get, it just looks silly but yeah it would get around the problem, if I can get my head around the idea that is. It would however mean the relevant worktop would be usable when your not wasking etc so thats a pretty major upside....Thanks for the suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Ive had that exsact problem in my kitchen with the drainer running over the bolts i used the router to cut a 10mm ish rebate free hand to accomodate the lip on the underside and clipped were i could and bonded the area i couldnt no issues at all

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I have actually been doing that today, I take it you mean a standalone single bowl and some kindve plastic/metal lift on lift off drainer. Something like this:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/simpleh...kpid=2076321&gclid=CPjXo7DB4sUCFYXnwgodYjQAbQ

which will drain into the sink etc. I just find the idea a bit strange. I have seen so many kitchens online, even ones today in person with no drainer at all which I really dont get, it just looks silly but yeah it would get around the problem, if I can get my head around the idea that is. It would however mean the relevant worktop would be usable when your not wasking etc so thats a pretty major upside....Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually meant a plumbed-in separate drainer, one option in link.

http://www.tapsandsinksonline.co.uk/product/carron-carisma-401-round-sink-drainer/

Ive had that exsact problem in my kitchen with the drainer running over the bolts i used the router to cut a 10mm ish rebate free hand to accomodate the lip on the underside and clipped were i could and bonded the area i couldnt no issues at all
This is the solutions that I use all the times.
Especially now that kitchens are becoming smaller and smaller.

This is the solutions that I use all the times.
Especially now that kitchens are becoming smaller and smaller.

its easy and doesnt remove any strength from the joint and allows the sink to sit flat and a plus is it add extra suport to the drainer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back