Joints without solder / earth pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have seen a product on the market that claims to join copper joints without solder!
Reading the tech stuff it says the joints will not conduct electricity and pipes should be treat like plastic pipes. Anyone tried this product?
Unfortunately it does not say how plastic pipes should be
treated, which brings me to the point.
This may be an electrical question but I have stripped out the bathroom
and can't see any earth to any of the pipes.
It is an old house 1910, but it looks like the bathroom was installed in the
late 1970's early 80's (burgundy bath).
I don't know how strict the regulations were then, or if the fitter just did not bother.
I wonder if the pipes have to be earthed?

cheers,
Baz.

Sponsored Links
In the bathroom you should have supplementary bonding. This is the connection of all metal pipes to all electrical appliances within the bathroom. Should be run in 4mm² green & yellow cable.

You should also have main equipotential bonding. This is the connection of metal service pipes at the point they enter the property back to the main earth terminal of your consumer unit. Should be run in 10mm² green & yellow cable.

whatisbonding.jpg

I'm assuming that the instructions are referring to the need to bridge the insulating section to reinstate electrical continuity.

Thanks Davy,
I will have it done, although we have been in this house for 15 years and never lost any sleep over earthed pipes. Indeed if I had not removed the plinth in the bathroom I would still have been non the wiser.
I wonder how many houses up and down the country, particularly old houses don't have earthed pipes?

Thanks again,
Baz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back