joist bolt length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
i am planning on fixing face joist hangers to support 2inch by 6inch joists on a stone wall in my cellar.
how long should the m12 bolts be?
thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Stupid answer :- It depends on the strength of the stones used in the wall. I would have thought that 4" will do in most stone, perhaps 6" in sandstone which can be very soft. Four of them per hanger?
Frank

Hi Frank thanks.
the simpson tie face fixing joist hanger has 4 holes for m12 bolts.
i decided to use anchor sleeve bolt type, so i dont have to use rawl plug and chemical mortar.
http://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/face-fix-hangers/39

the stone wall is very hard to drill into. i have a black n decker 3000rpm drill.
i use the hammer setting, have bought a special masonery dewalt drill set [that amazon reviews said was good on hard stone].
but the dewalt and my other masonry drill bits, after 3minutes of timed drilling. have only penetrated 2cm of the stone.

is this length of time/ penetration rate normal?
do i need to buy a more powerful drill?

Last edited:
You need an SDS drill. Fast speeds will burn the bit out.

Fixings are generally 2.5 x the width of the timber being fixed.

Sponsored Links
I agree you can get a a cheapo SDS drill from catalogue suppliers. My one worked fantasticaly( many holes over 600mm in lime stone!!), drills 10mm in lime stone at a rate of 6" per minute. I had to mend it because the automatic overload clutch let go. I tightened up the nut gave it to my son and bought its big brother (~£70). Its a brute to handle but it drills at twice the rate.
Frank

Dewalt SDS for £60. Use code DEW20 (y)

www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-d25133k-sds-hammer-2kg-3-mode-26mm-240v-p71687?

98696bdc790563c584c8215b5347fc65.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back