Joist hanger question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question.

My 7" joist are going to hang from a 6" wall plate with joist hangers.

Do I leave the extra 1" above or below the wall plate?

Or does it not matter?

Thanks Jack

Sponsored Links
Quick question.

My 7" joist are going to hang from a 6" wall plate with joist hangers.

Do I leave the extra 1" above or below the wall plate?

Or does it not matter?

Thanks Jack
Is it a floor or ceiling? If neither then flush at the bottom.

Its an extension for a garage and utility. So ceiling in one part and open in another.

I've just marked it out and if I could get away with hanging them flush at the top in the garage section, it would enable me to leave a gas pipe run in the void! Getting a gas engineer out at the moment is a struggle

The plasterboard ceiling part is fine

Surely the wall plate has been positioned to take the joists with the joist hanger at the bottom, where there's a lip to place it flush.
And surely you will know where you want it.
Or not?

Sponsored Links
Surely the wall plate has been positioned to take the joists with the joist hanger at the bottom, where there's a lip to place it flush.
And surely you will know where you want it.
Or not?
No, as the wall plate hasn't been fixed yet.

There are a couple of pipes in the way and rather than waiting for a gas engineer to re-route, I can just position the plate to allow for these (they will be removed eventually)

I just wanted to know if anyone could see a problem with a joist hanging 1" lower then the wall plate. The hangers are long enough.

It's not a problem, but as the hangers have bottom stops to hang them flush with the bottom, fixing the wall plate to accommodate this would surely be a lot easier.
Then, if there are pipes in the way and they won't spoil the finished product, by all means, do it.
I only had to fix hangers lower than bottom on one occasion when we had a well wonky wall to rest one end of the joists and a straight (levelled) wall plate.

You don't use hangers on a wall plate!
Yes, we had this argument on another thread.
It's called something else that i don't remember.
Anyhow, i was referring to the piece of wood that you fix to a wall, not on top of it.
I now know all builders i ever encountered were wrong in calling it a wall plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back