Joist hangers for rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 7 months ago we had a new extension built and had a wall knocked out and an rsj installed. I recently had to lift the floorboards above the rsj as they were squeaking and noticed that the joist hangers have been nailed in and have had their tops cut off. The joists are supporting a brick wall, I am no expert at all but I expected the top of the hanger to wrap onto the top of the rsj and surprised it was only nailed in. Does this contravene building regs?
20200525_170522.jpg
20200525_170619.jpg

Sponsored Links
This happens so often, that a clause prohibiting it is often included in tender specifications. Don't be unduly worried, but this kind of thing can be symptomatic of other bodges, so worth looking deeper. Also, I'd be more concerned about what the joist hanger is actually fixed too! What is that?

They look like square twist nails, they're fine.
Tried to remove a couple once and it's impossible without chiselling the wood.
I agree that the hangers should've been wrapped around the rsj, but not essential as there would be no way to nail them into the top of the rsj.

There are no building regulations for this, but it does contravene the manufacturers installation guidelines and various quality standards such as BS/EN and NHBC guidelines. There should be noggins between the joist too.

Having said that it will probably be OK in the long term.

Sponsored Links
They look like face fix rather than the ones that fold over, with the tops cut off a bit because they're the wrong size. If you can identify them the manufacturer will confirm the nailing pattern (especially if there's a brick wall built on the joists!). If I recall correctly it doesn't have to be every hole. When I did mine they came up a tiny bit tall so there was no wood behind the top hole but I think what I've nailed is more than enough.
The one below is holding a 7x3 joist with a 2m span (old house) but is capable of supporting a huge 10x3 joist.

But I find them all a bit strange - the second joist is a 7x2.5 and although the hanger is from the same Simpson strong tie range as the first it's a different profile?

IMG_20200602_131810787.jpg

IMG_20200602_131340855.jpg

Thanks for all your answers, much appreciated. Unfortunately I cant get to the underneath of the hangers to see who the manufacturer is.

Cbde your hangers look much tidier then ours!

I have also just noticed that we have another joist supporting a brickwall which is only screwed in!! I have been in touch with the builder and he is coming out to take a look.

20200525_170535.jpg
20200525_170843.jpg

Cdbe's hangers are different. The OP hangers are thinner speedy straps, cut down.

If the speedy straps have been cut down surely that must affect the amount of weight the bracket is able to take?

Would building control be happy to sign this off?

Not necessarily. You can buy hangers like that, and the load capacity is way over what will ever be imposed.

Yes it could potentially be signed off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back