Hidden rsj with no regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all looking for advice.

Recently had a builder carry out some work at my home. Removed a front loading wall and installed a hidden rsj with joist hangers.
Little did I know I needed regs to carry out the work and wasn't instructed by the builder, we have no invoice for the rsj as it was a cash price from a local steel company which did it on the cheap.

Last 2 weeks I've received cards from the council's building control officer in guessing he wants to inspect the property as I've had numerous skips coming and going from the property.

Am I in deep crap because I have no regs?
Starting to panic a bit about the situation.

Appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Hi all looking for advice.

Recently had a builder carry out some work at my home. Removed a front loading wall and installed a hidden rsj with joist hangers.
Little did I know I needed regs to carry out the work and wasn't instructed by the builder, we have no invoice for the rsj as it was a cash price from a local steel company which did it on the cheap.

Last 2 weeks I've received cards from the council's building control officer in guessing he wants to inspect the property as I've had numerous skips coming and going from the property.

Am I in deep crap because I have no regs?
Starting to panic a bit about the situation.

Appreciate any help

Building control don't tout for work generally, they probably respond to a complaint.....

Did you get structural calculations for the the steel? There is more to check than just the loading of the beam, ie foundations etc

Haha no cats ran over to my knowledge, but I put a block on the council tax because I'm not currently living there and only recently purchased the house so I'm guessing it was a routine call to check what's going on. I live in a small village too so it's more than likely I've ****ed people off with the demolition side of things.

No calcs nothing, I've had a structural engineer who's a friend just to check it and he said it looks structurally sound and looks to spec, but there's nothing other than his word. I got no proof of anything to forward to the council.

Was gonna try blag it but I think they possibly could have taken photos as there was view from my window into the house....

Im gonna ring the council Monday and just come clean. Just wondering what the worst scenario could be..

Can they prove the beam wasn't already there ??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You are under no obligation to a let building control officer into your home to carry out what is a speculative intrusive visit.

You can decline their offer.

If you let them in, expect to have to pay for an application, expose the work for checking and then the costs of making good (if you can actually make good without it showing). All for nothing if you are happy that the work is OK.

I did the same a few years back, knocked through from the lounge into the back room. I got caught off the council but I’m out again now and my parole officer has been great ;)

You are under no obligation to a let building control officer into your home to carry out what is a speculative intrusive visit.

You can decline their offer.

If you let them in, expect to have to pay for an application, expose the work for checking and then the costs of making good (if you can actually make good without it showing). All for nothing if you are happy that the work is OK.
Thanks for the reply mate, if I were to refuse entry could there be any repercussions? can they issue a fine or demand entry to the property ?

Thanks for the reply mate, if I were to refuse entry could there be any repercussions? can they issue a fine or demand entry to the property ?

Will it come up as unresolved works in the searches when you come to sell?

They would need to get a court injunction to get access. Their problem world be that a court would not grant an injunction unless the council had overriding evidence that their was a significant breach of the Building Regulations which presents a life safety risk.

Don't worry, It's hidden. He'll never know.

Or use the "It was like that when I bought it" line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back