Joist notches for pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m in the process of having a 2 storey extension built on the rear of our house and will be first fixing in a couple of weeks.
The existing upstairs floor is chipboard and will be staying but the ceiling below is being replaced. Can i notch joists on the underside for pipe runs? I need to route 2 x 22mm and 3 x 15mm in various directions. The joist are 8" x 2"

Sponsored Links
Possibly

TFC176.gif

notching the under edge is a no no
although if your joists are oversizes you will get away with it
by oversized i mean a smaller span like a box room or bathroom but using the same timbers to keep the floor level the same

by oversized i mean a smaller span like a box room or bathroom but using the same timbers to keep the floor level the same

I understand it may not be normal practice but couldn`t actually find any regulations stating you can`t.

Sponsored Links

I understand it may not be normal practice but couldn`t actually find any regulations stating you can`t.

you need to apply common sence really there are several thousand more situations that are not sutable against the suitable senarios
for example there are several correct combinations off making cement and concrete for different tasks and thousands off bad combinations

Basically no as the weight is pushing down On the joists the weak spot is under it so by cutting it you are weakening it a lot and may fine In the event of a insurance claim because your floor has collapsed you will not be covered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back