Joist weight loads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I would like to move my bath into another room above the kitchen. I will need to build a stage on top of existing joists as the levels are terrible. Does anyone know anywhere that I can find out if all this extra weight would cause me a problem and where I could look to work this out. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I think the easy answer is a structural engineer, as that's exactly their job. However if it's a simple situation a builder might be able to make a solution from standard tables enough to satisfy building control.
I think the main concerns are what will support the ends of the joists and how will you attach them.

Thanks. I didn't realise that I would need to get building control involved it was more for my own piece of mind. Nobody wants the bath jumping through the floor, that could be messy!

Usually you just need extra joists under the bath because of the strength requirements. But in not sure how complex the thing you need to do is. If you have photos or diagrams it would help us advise.

Also bathroom fitting is technically notifiable work so you'd have to let bc know in theory, and that's regardless of the structural work which may well also be notifiable.

Sponsored Links
You can move the bath anywhere you like on the same floor and it will be ok. You won't need to notify bc

Cheers guys. It's a Georgian house and there's no void between the ceiling and floor (another reason for raising it up for hiding pipework) just 4"x4" joists with floorboards on top. I was planning on bolting timbers around the outside and hanging new joists across the room roughly 3m span. The people previous have cobbled a fibreglass bath in another room but all the pipework is crap and exposed whereas the bath I have is a copper self standing one if that would make any difference too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back