Joists on sleeper wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have had notches cut out of joists for waste pipe for the shower. The joist spans from one wall in the bathroom, stud wall between bathroom and bedroom and I presume it's one long joist to the end wall in the bedroom.

The joist depth is 175mm and my question is because there's a sleeper wall the joist bears on, do I look at span tables taking into acccount that the sleeper wall is classed as span from the bathroom wall to the sleeper?

Hope I haven't lost you all :)

Sponsored Links
Hi woody

So because the joist rests on this internal sleeper wall is that classed as the support or does it physically have to tie into the brick or the external wall?

Basically just trying to work out if I have plenty of meat left on my joist due to notching which if the hollow block wall is classed as a support then because of the 2 metre span it means I have plenty of thickness joist.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back