Joists sitting on blockwork - no wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am rebuilding a flat roof and have just found the existing joists are sitting directly on the blockwork - there's no timber wall plate. Also, they're sitting on the outer leaf, which presumably means the fascia is just nailed into the joist ends.

I'm assuming that this is not good? I was hoping (with blessing of BC who are coming to look) to reinforce the existing joists rather than replace, since they are in good condition - at least at the moment - since it's a fairly recent extention.

Thanks,
Neal

(I'm not really surprised - the neighbour says that he came home to find previous owner laying out blocks on the ground - 'hey Colin, what do you think?', 'made for it' says Colin. The next day he was digging footings...)

Sponsored Links
NealHarman said:
Hi, am rebuilding a flat roof and have just found the existing joists are sitting directly on the blockwork - there's no timber wall plate. Also, they're sitting on the outer leaf, which presumably means the fascia is just nailed into the joist ends.

I'm assuming that this is not good? I was hoping (with blessing of BC who are coming to look) to reinforce the existing joists rather than replace, since they are in good condition - at least at the moment - since it's a fairly recent extention.

I suspect BC will ask you to lift up the joists and put down a wall plate. It's there for a reason, to spread the load of the roof. Having the joists resting on the outer leaf is not good. It's ok for the fascia to be nailed to the ends of the joists. It'll probably be easier to replace the joists if you have to strengthen them, and not much difference in cost considering the amount of work involved.

Thanks - reinforcing vs. replacing wasn't really a cost issue - more to do with maximizing the amount that could be done with the roof still basically on (given the time of year).
Thanks again,
Neal

HandyJon said:
NealHarman said:

I suspect BC will ask you to lift up the joists and put down a wall plate. It's there for a reason, to spread the load of the roof. Having the joists resting on the outer leaf is not good. It's ok for the fascia to be nailed to the ends of the joists. It'll probably be easier to replace the joists if you have to strengthen them, and not much difference in cost considering the amount of work involved.

Why is the joists sitting on the outer blocks a problem with a flat roof and surely if the blockwork is level the joists will be sitting on both courses of blocks

Sponsored Links
Just to let you know what happened :D

BC guy 1 (on the phone) said 'no need for a wall plate, what's the problem with the it sitting on the outer leaf?'

BC guy 2 (who visited) said 'you need a wall plate on the inner leaf' - so much for consistency :D but BC 2 is going to sign it off so guess what I'm doing?

BTW his reason was that this made it easier to fix the roof to the walls (currently it isn't) to stop the wind lifting it.

Neal

that is the truth, in the 1987 gales our neighbours flat roof came off in one piece, no wallplates or straps same as our house, but unfortunately for him he was on an exposed corner

NealHarman said:
BTW his reason was that this made it easier to fix the roof to the walls (currently it isn't) to stop the wind lifting it.
A lot easier to use scrap tie-in bracket if you have wallplate & it's stronger.

chappers said:
that is the truth, in the 1987 gales our neighbours flat roof came off in one piece, no wallplates or straps same as our house, but unfortunately for him he was on an exposed corner

You bunch of bozo's-----the wall plate strap is next to useless as the roof could still go, the straps should be on the rafters or in this case on the roof joists which are ALL above the wall plate THUS holding the entire lot down

Not sure if I'm reading your post right but the one I'm talking about are the restraint strap that tie the wallplate fixed to the wall as well as the rafters.
p1704932_l.jpg

masona said:
Not sure if I'm reading your post right but the one I'm talking about are the restraint strap that tie the wallplate fixed to the wall as well as the rafters.
p1704932_l.jpg

Thats the one Masona but it wont keep the roof on :LOL:

You need the long straight twisted strap onto the rafters for the wind

Freddie said:
chappers said:

You bunch of bozo's-----the wall plate strap is next to useless as the roof could still go, the straps should be on the rafters or in this case on the roof joists which are ALL above the wall plate THUS holding the entire lot down

And for my next trick I shall suck a dozen eggs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back