joning hardboard panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to cut an access panel (approx. 2' x 1') in the back of a fitted wardrobe (hardboard) and I'm looking for a product to help fit a replacement panel for the discarded section of hardboard. I'm thinking of using PVC H-section but can't find where to buy in small enough quantity. Is this a good idea or are there other more suitable joining methods? Ideas, please?

thanks for any help

rustynails

Sponsored Links
You could try a 'hygienic wall cladding' supplier in your area they may be happy to supply a little bit. They use PVC H sections to join the PVC sheets.

Thank you for your replies.

foxholes - I have to access behind a built-in wardrobe which has hardboard backing to then cut through the plasterboard wall (this is from a bedroom) to gain access to the bathroom to enable the plumber to change the taps. The reason is that the bath is recessed and therefore no access from within the bathroom. We built the wardrobe (very well I must say) and we know there wasn't a hatch to the back to the bath but is the only way to change the taps which are leaking and not due to washers problems.

freddymercurystwin - what is a Hygenic Wall Cladding supplier?

rustynails

Sponsored Links
if your clever enough ;) cut the pannel carefully to the size required,then just cleat it with if room some 1x1"? pre drill etc through the remaining pannel,then refix the pannel you removed with some screws and cups,then maybe run some thin timber detail round the cut line to make it a feature?.

Thank you gregers and others for your advice. I will sign off now as I have to get the job done come what may, but your ideas have helped thank you all once again.

Masonite/ hardboard is a great surface for acrylics.
Prime it & go. A 6x6 migh be a little floppy in 1/4" thick board.
Would definitely use "tempered" masonite ( the dark brown stuff)
It will not absorb moisture as much as the thicker non tempered board which will go spongy on you. & belly in or out .
Could also glue stiffeners around the perimeter & back of the panel to help keep it flat & to hang it by.
A sturdy frame will also help.
Best regards

Thank you Bainchodrate for your help and advice. The job is in progress so come what may it has to work.

thank you all once again - over and out. No need for any more advice on this topic thanks.

rustynails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back