Wetwall panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if I'm putting this is the right section - no doubt I'll soon find out if it's in the wrong place.

Just a quick question about wetwall/mermaid type wall panelling.

The panels come in 2400 x 1200mm panels. My ceiling is 2.7metres high.

If you were fitting it, how would you get round the ceiling height with regard to joins? I can't imagine it looking as nice if there's a join in it but just wondered how it should be done.

Sponsored Links
You have no real option apart from finishing it short of the ceiling with a decent edge trim or using the joining strips which are smart looking and neat but still very noticable!

I have never had any dealings this type of wall panelling. But have you thought about making the area above the panel a feature i.e. smooth plaster and finished in a matt or low sheen paint, only I would think its got to be a lot better than trying to joint two of these panels?

The photo is of a bathroom I designed and constructed for a client, you can just about see in the mirror that I had the wall tiling is finished at door height.

oak%20bathroom%20(3).jpg

Thanks. I didn't fancy it having a join. At the moment, I've only got it in the shower cubicle and originally, the guy that installed it tried joining it and it looked awful - so I pulled off the bit he'd tried to join and ended up putting coving up because there was just enough gap to be filled by the coving - but obviously round the rest of the room the gap would be bigger because in the shower, it's sitting slightly higher because the height of the tray comes into it.

I just wondered what other people would do and I think I'd much prefer the suggestion of stopping it at door height all the way round. I did consider maybe just putting it up to window ledge height, but I don't know that I fancy that either - it's really hard to try and imagine what it would look like.

And the reason I'm going for that is because I hate the fact that tile grout can get dirty looking over a period of time plus it's quicker to install than tiling.

I do like that bathroom you've done though - it's very nice. Unfortunately, my bathroom is the size of a large cardboard box and I can't imagine it looking as nice as that.

Sponsored Links
I have used multi-panel which is a similar product but used a bit in commercial kitchens and bathroom environments. The mermaid seemed more of a product only for the wet wall areas and as such didn't have much options for finish or joining trims. The multi-panel had interior exterior corner trims etc and you can very neatly mitre it in around window ledges and reveals etc.

I'd say your best option would be to finish it shy of the ceiling by a foot and finish the edge with a chrome/brushed/whatever finish you like aluminium trim.

Brilliant thanks. It's nice to get an opinion from people who have worked with it because it's really hard to try and visualise what it'll be like.

There seems to be quite a few brands though - WetWall, Mermaid, PerformPanel and I think even Formica do one. And they always look lovely in the pictures in the brochures - but they are in bathrooms the size of a football pitch!!

Of course, maybe I should be picking all your brains for how to design a practical bathroom out of a tiny room - because at the moment, it's not practical! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back